Thinking of starting your own business?
Feel free to complete our enquiry form to request information to assist you with starting your business or to arrange an appointment.
We understand that starting your own business can be an exciting yet daunting experience. Businessline at Wrexham Library subscribes to a number of specialist and market leading resources allowing us to provide a wide variety of services, specifically aimed at individuals looking to enter the world of self-employment. Regardless of what stage you're at, we can help.
Rather than spending hours trying to find out how to start your business, allow us to provide you with easy to follow guidance and information, which will help you; discover any funding you may be entitled to receive, choose the right legal status for your business, identify any trading issues to be aware of and analyse the potential of the market etc.
As a brief overview, our resources will help you:
- Reduce your business start-up time
- Formulate business and marketing plans which could be used to secure funding
- Research your market thoroughly, identifying key market trends, future forecasts and consumer profiles etc.
- Identify and research your local competition
- Source suppliers
- Market your business
- Discover local business networking opportunities
- Employ staff
- Create customised mailing lists to target new customers
- Credit check suppliers and companies you may be looking to work with
- Source grant aid which may be available to your business
- Grasp legal and regulatory aspects applicable to your business idea
- Make effective day-to-day business decisions
Let us take the uncertainty out of decisions you may need to make by supplying you with authoritative, current and relevant information, the large majority of which can be provided completely FREE of charge. We pride ourselves on being both cost-effective and efficient.
Please view the Businessline overview pack for a more detailed insight into the range of services we're able to provide.
Services and Resources Aimed at New Businesses
A few of the specialist electronic resources and business tools we're able to make available to you include:
Use the downloadable templates below to help you plan, start, or manage your business.
- Break Even Analysis - Excel version 22Kb
- Marketing Plan Template - Word version 36Kb
- Monthly Profit & Loss Forecast - Excel version 26Kb
- Personal Survival Budget - Excel version 21Kb
- Sales Invoice - Word version 40Kb
- Start-up Business Plan - Word version 64Kb
- Start-up Cashflow Forecast- Excel version 52Kb
- Start-up Costs - Excel version 22Kb
Businessline are able to provide access to a wealth of information to assist anyone starting a business. Information on any mandatory qualifications, licenses which would need to be held, regulations to be aware of, possible means of promotion etc can be provided, which specifically relate to the type of business you are looking to start. To request information to help you start your business please feel free to complete our business start-up enquiry form.
In addition a wide variety of factsheets (external link) are also available which will aim to assist you with the day to day running of your business; covering topics such as building customer loyalty, understanding balance sheets and terms and conditions of sale etc. Please contact Businessline or alternatively complete our online enquiry form specifying the number together with the title of the factsheet(s) (external link) of interest.
IBIS World is the UK's richest source of business and industry information. Reports provide independent, accurate, comprehensive, and current research on 100s of market sectors in the UK, including statistics, analysis and forecasts.
Businessline are able to provide FREE access to IBIS World reports, which often cost around £495 to purchase. The information contained within the market research reports will help you make better business decisions and can help support both funding applications and business plans. Recent and predicted future market trends could be of particular interest to pre-start businesses when identifying market performance, before deciding whether to launch a business. You will be able to view reports in full within Wrexham Library, extracts equating to 10% of each report can also be provided free of charge. An overview of some of the areas analysed within reports can be found below:
- Key External Drivers
- Current Performance
- Industry Outlook
- Industry Life Cycle
Products and Markets
- Supply Chain
- Products and Services
- Demand Determinates
- Key Success Factors
- Cost Structure Benchmarks
- Basis of Competition
- Barriers to entry
- Industry Data
- Annual Change
- Key ratios
Please contact Businessline or alternatively complete our online enquiry form if you would like to identify whether any reports are available which relate to your business idea.
Businessline subscribe to Experians business-to-business marketing database from which we're able to provide:
- Business to business mailing, telesales or e-mail marketing lists in spreadsheet format, which include a contact name for a key decision maker within the business.
- Details of your local, regional or even national competitors allowing you to analyse the size of the businesses in terms of employee numbers, their location and view their websites (where provided) to possibly identify a niche in the market or a unique selling point for your business?
- Statistical breakdowns of businesses based within specific geographical areas, by business type, employee and turnover ranges etc.
Please contact Businessline or alternatively complete our online enquiry form if you would like us to assist you with sourcing relevant suppliers for your business or identifying your competitors.
Attracting clients / sales can often be one of the most difficult aspects of starting a new business and will of course prove critical to the future success of your enterprise. Businessline, as well as subscribing to numerous specialist resources which can be of use for specific marketing related purposes, also offer a number of marketing related initiatives, which include opportunities to:
- Advertise your business or provide an article for inclusion within our monthly newsletter
- Discover local advertising opportunities
- Raise awareness of business events you may be running
- Run a targeted business-to-business marketing campaign
- Offer a business-to-business discount on your services
- Feature as a studio guest on Calon FM’s Talking Business show
- List your business on Virtual Wrexham; Wrexham’s online shopping destination, if your sell online.
- Raise awareness of your business and form relationships with local companies by attending a 360 Networking meeting free of charge
Safeguard your enterprise from working with businesses that have a poor credit score. Whether you would like to investigate if a company has the means to pay for any goods / services you have been requested to supply, or to safeguard yourself from entering into business with any suppliers in a poor financial situation, the free credit reports we're able to provide from Experian will offer you peace of mind. Information contained within reports include:
- A general company summary
- Financial breakdowns and risk information
- Ownership and director details
- Credit score and credit limit changes on a monthly basis
- Payment performance information is also available for many companies
Reports are available for any limited company within the UK, briefer reports are also available for many sole traders. Should you be working with businesses trading outside of the UK; reports are also available for foreign companies, however a fee would be applicable to obtain this information.
Our business library provides free access to a wide range of books aimed at both new and existing businesses. General books regarding self employment are available to loan together with books dedicated to writing a business plan, social media marketing or even starting specific types of businesses. We also provide access to specialist hard copy directories of suppliers, newspaper and magazine publications within the UK and the Municipal Yearbook which provides contact details for heads of departments within local authorities throughout the UK to name just a few. For more information on how to join Wrexham Library service and to browse our online catalogue for titles of interest, please see our business library page for further information.
A number of local business discounts are available and can be viewed via our business-to-business discounts web-page, which both new and existing businesses are welcome to take advantage of.
If you're interested in networking with businesses in the Wrexham area or discovering local business events, please see the networking and events section of our web pages for further information and to join our mailing list. By doing so, you will receive regular event / network meeting updates, together with our monthly newsletter detailing the launch of new grant funding, which you may be eligible to receive, for example.