Thinking of starting your own business?
We understand that starting your own business can be an exciting yet daunting experience. Businessline at Wrexham Library subscribes to a number of specialist and market leading resources allowing us to provide a wide variety of services, specifically aimed at individuals looking to enter the world of self-employment. Regardless of what stage you're at, we can help.
Rather than spending hours trying to find out how to start your business, allow us to provide you with easy to follow guidance and information, which will help you; discover any funding you may be entitled to receive, choose the right legal status for your business, identify any trading issues to be aware of and analyse the potential of the market etc.
As a brief overview, our resources will help you:
- Reduce your business start-up time
- Formulate business and marketing plans which could be used to secure funding
- Research your market thoroughly, identifying key market trends, future forecasts and consumer profiles etc.
- Identify and research your local competition
- Source suppliers
- Market your business
- Discover local business networking opportunities
- Employ staff
- Create customised mailing lists to target new customers
- Credit check suppliers and companies you may be looking to work with
- Source grant aid which may be available to your business
- Grasp legal and regulatory aspects applicable to your business idea
- Make effective day-to-day business decisions
Let us take the uncertainty out of decisions you may need to make by supplying you with authoritative, current and relevant information, the large majority of which can be provided completely FREE of charge. We pride ourselves on being both cost-effective and efficient.
Please view the Businessline overview pack for a more detailed insight into the range of services we're able to provide.
Request Information / Arrange an Appointment
Please feel free to complete the form and we'll provide you with the following information to help you get started with your business venture:
- A Business Opportunity Profile dedicated to your business idea overviewing any specific trading issues to be aware of (such as any licenses you may need to apply for), qualifications / training certificates you may be required to hold etc.
- An overview of grant funding opportunities which will specify any eligibility criteria you'll need to meet together with application details.
- Details of the feely available business start-up workshops in Wrexham provided on behalf of the Welsh Government
- An overview of local marketing opportunities ranging from community magazines in which you could advertise, residential leafleting opportunities, local websites accepting business listings, community buildings in which you could display posters, contact names for key decision makers with companies of interest to you.
- Market research detailing the recent performance of the market you are looking to enter together with predicted future market forecasts (where available).
- A Businessline start-up pack providing information on choosing the right legal status for your business, any organisations you may need to contact when starting your business, choosing a business name and much more.
Additional services and resources aimed at new businesses
A few of the specialist electronic resources we're able to make available to you include:
The Cobra database contains a wealth of information for anyone starting, running or studying business. As well as the hundreds of Business Opportunity Profiles detailing how to start specific types of enterprises, factsheets are also available which will assist you with the day to day running of your business; covering topics such as building customer loyalty, understanding balance sheets, terms and conditions of sale. A list of all the Business Information Factsheets currently available, categorised by subject area can be downloaded below. Market Synopses analysing performance trends for a number of market sectors are also available, again, a list of all the synopsis titles which are currently available can be downloaded.
If you would like to request a copy of any Business Information Factsheets or UK Market Synopsis, please contact Businessline or alternatively complete our online enquiry form specifying the number together with the title of the factsheet(s) / synopsis of interest.
Market Research - KeyNote and CCH Business Focus Reports
KeyNote reports provide an in-depth statistical analysis of specific markets ideal for supporting business plans. Businessline are able to provide free access to reports, over 100 pages in length, which often cost over £500. The information available tends to focus on the following key areas:
- The size of the market year on year, for the past four years
- A SWOT analysis of the market
- Consumer demographics / buying behaviour
- Future market forecasts
A full list of all the reports which are currently available can be found via the KeyNote website (external link). Please contact Businessline or alternatively complete our online enquiry form if you would like to gain access to a specific report or to simply enquire whether any reports are available which relate to your business idea.
We are also able to provide access to CCH Business Focus reports which provide information and market intelligence on over 90 trades and professions, together with local, regional and national demographic statistics.
Specialist Business Databases
Businessline subscribe to three UK wide market leading business databases from which we're able to provide:
- Business to business mailing, telesales or e-mail marketing lists in spreadsheet format, which include a contact name for a key decision maker within the business. Two of the databases we subscribe to also allow us to provide contact names for specific job holders within larger companies.
- Details of your local, regional or even national competitors allowing you to analyse the size of the businesses in terms of employee numbers, their location and view their websites (where provided) to possibly identify a niche in the market or a unique selling point for your business?
- Contact details for suppliers of interest to you.
Please contact Businessline or alternatively complete our online enquiry form if you would like us to assist you with sourcing relevant suppliers for your business or identifying the existing competition to your business.
Market your business effectively
Attracting clients / sales can often be one of the most difficult aspects of starting a new business and will of course prove critical to the future success of your enterprise. Businessline, as well as subscribing to numerous specialist resources which can be of use for specific marketing related purposes, also offer a number of marketing related initiatives, which include opportunities to:
- Advertise your business or provide an article for inclusion within our monthly newsletter
- Discover local advertising opportunities
- Record an informative video presentation, which we will share with local businesses
- Raise awareness of business events you may be running
- Run a targeted business-to-business marketing campaign
- Offer a business-to-business discount on your services
- Feature as a studio guest on Calon FM’s Talking Business show
- List your business on Virtual Wrexham; Wrexham’s online shopping destination, if your sell online.
- Raise awareness of your business and form relationships with local companies by attending a 360 Networking meeting free of charge
Experian - Credit Reports / Ratings
Safeguard your enterprise from working with businesses that have a poor credit score. Whether you would like to investigate if a company has the means to pay for any goods / services you have been requested to supply, or to safeguard yourself from entering into business with any suppliers in a poor financial situation, the free credit reports we're able to provide from Experian will offer you peace of mind. Information contained within reports include:
- A general company summary
- Financial breakdowns and risk information
- Ownership and director details
- Credit score and credit limit changes on a monthly basis
- Payment performance information is also available for many companies
Reports are available for any limited company within the UK, briefer reports are also available for many sole traders. Should you be working with businesses trading outside of the UK; reports are also available for foreign companies, however a fee would be applicable to obtain this information.
Our business library provides free access to a wide range of books aimed at both new and existing businesses. General books regarding self employment are available to loan together with books dedicated to writing a business plan, social media marketing or even starting specific types of businesses. We also provide access to specialist hard copy directories of suppliers, newspaper and magazine publications within the UK and the Municipal Yearbook which provides contact details for heads of departments within local authorities throughout the UK to name just a few. For more information on how to join Wrexham Library service and to browse our online catalogue for titles of interest, please see our business library page for further information.
Local Business Discounts
A number of local business discounts are available and can be viewed via our business-to-business discounts web-page, which both new and existing businesses are welcome to take advantage of.
Business Networking / Events in Wrexham
If you're interested in networking with businesses in the Wrexham area or discovering local business events, please see the networking and events section of our web pages for further information and to join our mailing list. By doing so, you will receive regular event / network meeting updates, together with our monthly newsletter detailing the launch of new grant funding, which you may be eligible to receive, for example.
HMRCs free “Starting your own Business” E-Learning tool
The HMRCs free starting your own business e-learning tool contains relevant information, learning checks and links to the appropriate parts of the HMRC website, which will guide you through the key aspects of stating and running your business, in line with standard regulations. Topics covered within this package cover how and by when to inform the HMRC you have started your own business, national insurance, records you should keep, business expenses you're able to claim, self assessment online, paying the HMRC and growing your business i.e. employing staff. Please view the e-learning tool (external link) for further information.