Wrexham Council homepage



Wrexham Family Information Service can provide you with information to help you make the best choice for you and your child. There are many different childcare options for you and your family to choose from and these may change over the years as your needs change.

All childcare provided for more than 2 hours a day for children up to the age of 12 must be registered by Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).

Types of registered childcare include:

Childcare Offer in Wales for 3 to 4 year olds (30 hours)

Applications are now open for the expansion of the Childcare Offer for all of Wrexham from January 2019!

We are pleased to announce that the Welsh Government Childcare Offer for Wales will be rolled out to all wards in Wrexham from January 2019.

All eligible working parents living in Wrexham are now able to apply to access the offer for children from the start of the term following their third birthday until the September after they turn 4 to access:

  • up to 30 hours per week of combined Childcare and Early Years Foundation Phase Education during the term time and
  • up to 9 weeks of childcare (30 hours) in the school holidays through the Childcare Offer

Wrexham and Flintshire Councils are working jointly to provide the Childcare Offer in Wrexham. Wrexham parents can check their eligibility and apply on-line - www.flintshire.gov.uk/wrexhamchildcareoffer (external link) on the joint online system hosted by Flintshire Council for the Childcare Offer in Wrexham.

Childcare providers who are registered with CIW or OFSTED and are hoping to offer places for children accessing the Childcare Offer, can register for the childcare offer by contacting the Family Information Service in Wrexham on childcareteam@wrexham.gov.uk.

If parents or childcare providers have any queries relating to the Childcare Offer for Wales in Wrexham, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with

Further information:

This offer applies to 30 hours of government-funded childcare that includes Early Entitlement and Foundation Phase Nursery Provision for three and four year olds of working parents for up to 48 weeks of the year. Eligible children will be able to access the offer from the beginning of the term following their third birthday until the September following their fourth birthday.

The entitlement is as follows:

Scheme Education Entitlement Childcare Allowance When
Early Entitlement 10 hours per week 20 hours per week Term time - 39 weeks of the year
Foundation Phase Nursery 12.5 hours per week 17.5 hours per week Term time - 39 weeks per year
    30 hours for up to 9 weeks pro rata School Holidays


Registered childminders are day care providers who work in their own homes caring for children. They are based in the community, which means that children can go to local playgroups/cylchoedd meithrin, parent and toddler groups, clubs or visit friends.

Childminders are responsible for your child’s safety as well as their emotional and physical development. They should provide a mix of play and learning experiences inside and outside the home. All childminders must be registered and inspected by CIW, who will check on their suitability, their home and everyone over the age of 16 living in the house.

Childminders must have a registration certificate issued by CIW and a public liability insurance certificate.

Childminders are self-employed and set their own fee. They can offer flexible childcare, year round, full-time or part-time and outside school hours. They can look after up to 10 children of various ages at the same time and can therefore care for brothers and sisters together.

Day Nursery

Day Nurseries provide registered early education and childcare for young children from birth to age 5. They usually open from early morning to early evening, Monday to Friday, (some on Saturdays) all year round. They offer a caring, safe, stimulating environment either as full day care or part-time care for babies and pre-school children. Some may also provide care before and after school and in the holidays for children aged 4 to 7 and sometimes older children too.

Day Nurseries must be registered and inspected by CIW and hold a registration certificate issued by CIW. They must also have a public liability insurance certificate and the appropriate food hygiene certificate. Fees will vary. Support with costs may be available from tax credits, childcare vouchers and free part-time places for 3 year olds.

Most Day Nurseries have facilities to prepare food and snacks for the children in their care. They should produce at least a 3 week menu of quality food and provide snacks appropriate to the length of day the child attends.

Playgroup / Cylch Meithrin

Playgroups cater mainly for children age 2 ½ years to 5, usually for 2 to 3 hours in the morning or afternoon and mainly during term time. They offer a safe and stimulating environment where children play, learn and socialise with each other. Parents and carers are active in running playgroups and often join their management committees. Cylchoedd Meithrin are Welsh-medium playgroups which give children an opportunity to learn through play. Children from non-Welsh speaking families are welcome to attend Cylchoedd Meithrin and are able to benefit by becoming bilingual.

Wraparound care/Playgroup Plus/Cylchoedd Meithrin Plws

Playgroup Plus is often referred to as ‘Wraparound care’, and is offered by some providers as an extension to playgroup, cylch meithrin or Local Authority Nursery provision and provides care for the other half of the school day. Groups may operate for up to 4 hours.

Out of School Club

Out of school childcare clubs run before and after school and in the holidays, and may be based at the school or in a community setting such as a sports centre. Where appropriate, clubs are registered and inspected by CIW and qualified or trained play staff supervise children until they are collected by their parents or carers.

Out of school clubs based in schools often have spaces for pupils from other schools as well as their own. If your child’s school does not have an out of school club it may be worth contacting another local club and asking if they are able to accommodate your child.

Types of unregistered childcare include:

Toddler Group / Cylch Ti a Fi

Toddler groups are not required to register with CIW as parents or carers must stay with their children while attending. Sessions allow children to mix with others and enjoy a variety of activities. Despite their name, groups aren’t just for toddlers – groups are often attended by a range of children from newborns to pre-schoolers.

Cylchoedd ti a fi enable parents and carers to play alongside their children and socialise in an informal Welsh setting. Non-Welsh speaking parents are welcome to attend and are encouraged to learn Welsh with their children by enjoying basic stories, songs and nursery rhymes.

Other groups which may be available locally for babies and toddlers include baby massage, story time, swimming groups, music and movement.


Nannies look after children in the family home. They are not currently regulated and do not have to register with CIW unless they work for more than 2 families. Nannies can register under the Childcare Approval Scheme Wales to become an approved childcare worker, allowing the families that they work for to claim the Childcare Element of the Working Tax Credit or Childcare Vouchers.

As an extra precaution, you can check if your nanny is approved by the Childcare Approval Scheme Wales. To be accepted on the scheme, every nanny has to be fully qualified in childcare and trained in first aid. They will also have been subject to a DBS check to establish their suitability for working with children. www.cssiw.org.uk

Au Pair

Au Pairs are usually foreign students aged 17-27 years. They do not generally have childcare qualifications, so they should not have sole charge of pre-school children. Au Pairs live as members of the family to learn English. They can work in the home for up to 5 hours per day in return for a room, an allowance and 2 full days off per week.


Babysitters typically look after children while parents go out for an evening or afternoon. There is no legal minimum age, but the NSPCC says they should be older than 16. If use a babysitter under 16 and the child is injured in their care, you may be held responsible. So, choose babysitters carefully and ask for references if you do not know the person well.

Choosing the Right Setting for Your Child

You should visit as many settings as possible before you decide which one is right for you and your child.

Consider the following questions when visiting settings with your child:

Is it welcoming?

Is it a stimulating place for children?

What facilities does it have?

Is it caring?

What about the staff?

Other questions to ask

Always make sure that childcare settings are registered with CIW. It is possible to view a setting’s CIW report through the CIW website.