Wrexham Council homepage


Reliefs and Discounts

People with disabilities

If you or someone who lives with you needs an extra room or extra space in your home because of a disability, you may be able to get a reduction in your bill. This reduction would be given by putting your home in a lower valuation band.

If your home is in Band A, you may still qualify for a reduction.

Please contact the Council for further information if you think you may qualify.


If only one adult lives in a property a discount of 25% will apply. Discounts also apply to certain groups of people including students, student nurses, youth training trainees and the severely mentally impaired. If you think you may be entitled to a discount you should contact the Council.

If you have been granted a discount and you believe at any time you are no longer entitled to it, then you must inform the Council within 21 days. Failure to do so may result in a penalty.

Exempt Dwellings

Claim a council tax exemption

Make a claim

Most dwellings will be subject to Council Tax, but some will be exempt and there will be no Council Tax to pay on them. These include properties where the only residents are students, severely mentally impaired persons and empty properties which:

Council Tax Premium

From 1 April 2017, the council has applied a premium rate of 50% of the amount of Council Tax on a particular property which has been classed as either “long term empty property” or a “second home”. A dwelling is considered to be either a "long term empty property" or a "second home". A dwelling is considered to be a long term empty property if it has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for a continuous period of one year. A second home is defined as a dwelling which is not an individual’s sole or main home and is substantially furnished.

There are some criteria which if applicable would mean that the property would not be subject to a premium. These are:

The first three criteria listed above may apply to long term empty properties. Whereas all six of the criteria may apply to second homes.

Could I reduce my Council Tax or rent payments?

Am I entitled?

If you are on a low income or certain benefits, you may be entitled.

Are you a pensioner on a low income?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then you may be entitled to help.

Universal Credit

If you are of working age and have less than three children and are currently not in receipt of benefit, you may need to apply for Universal Credit for support and help with your housing costs. To find out further information visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit

If you have over three children, you should apply for Housing Benefit/Council Tax

If you are a pensioner, you should apply to the council for help with Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction.

Council Tax

If you are liable for Council Tax you could receive help with all or part of your bill.


If you pay rent to Wrexham County Borough Council or to a private landlord, you may be entitled to help with the rent.

How do I apply?

New Online Account for Residents

In this day and age so much is available online and it’s quick, easy and efficient. Wouldn’t it be great if accessing council services was as simple? Well, now it is! ‘My Account’ is the new online account for residents of Wrexham!

My Account allows you to create a secure, personal account online where you can view your Council Tax and Benefit statements, amend direct debits, apply for various discounts and exemptions and make a new benefits claim.

To sign up please visit www.wrexham.gov.uk/myaccount

Sign up to MyAccount

Local Authority Tenants

Contact their local Estate Office and ask for a benefit form to help pay rent and Council Tax or by Telephone (01978) 292033.

Private Tenants and Owner Occupiers

Contact Wrexham Contact, 16 Lord Street, Wrexham or by telephone (01978) 292033 and ask for a form for Rent Allowance and/or Council Tax reduction.

Are you an Owner Occupier?

Check your Council Tax demand. If there is no benefit shown and you have applied, contact us immediately.

Are you a Local Authority/Private Tenant?

If you have any queries please contact the benefits section on (01978) 292033 to discuss the matter.

Using your Personal Information

Wrexham Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and regularly participates in an exercise to ensure that public money is being spent properly. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud.

Every year the Wales Audit Office requires us to provide details of all Council Tax properties, liable persons, amounts payable – including discounts, exemptions and disregards so that the information can be compared with other information provided by other public bodies, in particular the Electoral Register and private organisations.

Personal information may be used by the Council in a number of ways, for example audit and debt collection (not limited to Council Tax), fraud prevention and statistical analysis. Information may also be shared with other organisations/ bodies in addition to any specific matters.