Wrexham Council homepage


Rechargeable Repairs

Wrexham Council's Housing and Economy Department must do certain repairs by law. The vast majority of our tenants keep their homes in good condition but there are a few who cause damage deliberately or through neglect. Where such jobs are required, we call these 'rechargeable repairs'. We do not want the tenants who look after their homes to pick up the bill for those other tenants who will have to pay for repairs.

You are responsible for: Any damage caused accidentally, deliberately or because of neglect by you or other members of your household, visitors, pets or contractors hired by you.

Tenants' DIY and Improvements

You must apply for permission to carry out alterations and improvements to the property. All work will be inspected and must be done to our satisfaction. In the case of gas and electrical works, this must be carried out to CORGI and NICEIC standards and certificates issued. If the work is unsatisfactory, you will have to repair the damage or provide replacement but if we have to carry out the work, you will be recharged. Before you start, you must complete an application form to carry out any alteration work. Forms are available from your Estate Office.

What if the damage was an accident?

You are responsible for any accidental damage. You may be able to claim the cost of repairing this damage against your Household Contents Insurance. You should check with your Insurance Company. If you cannot carry out the repair and we have to do so, we will charge you for the work.

Security of your home

You are responsible for the security of your home where repairs are required due to misuse, neglect or carelessness. We will secure the property if required and recharge you for this and if replacement of glass is needed. You will have to pay if keys are lost or stolen and we have to replace them.


When you call 01978 298993 and it is established that there is to be a recharge, we will normally write to you as quickly as possible to confirm the charge.

Please note that a recharge will be made if you mislead the Call Centre into sending trades people out for a non-emergency job by exaggerating the urgency of the repair. All telephone calls are recorded.

During normal working hours, you will be advised when the tradesperson is calling. You will be required to wait in until someone arrives. If you are unable to stay at your property and you are out when we call but have not made any arrangement with us, the job may be re-prioritised to a non-emergency status depending on the nature of the job.

What if I end my tenancy and leave the property?

When you give us notice to end your tenancy (or you are transferring to another Council property), we will inspect and assess any damage.

If a charge is to be raised, we will send you a letter advising you of the costs and giving you the opportunity to repair, replace any damage or pay us to do the work.

If we are unable to gain access until the property is empty, we will inspect and assess any damage. Costs to repair any damage will be recharged to you. Any items belonging to you will be removed and you will be recharged for the cost.

If you re-apply for accommodation in the future, there will be a reduction in your waiting list points for outstanding debt as set out in our lettings policy. Points will be adjusted when you confirm that the debt has been settled.

What if the damage was caused by crime?

If you have been the innocent victim of a crime and criminal damage has been caused, for example, by forced entry, you must report it to the Police and also inform us. You may be able to claim on your own Household Contents Insurance for loss or damage caused as a direct result of theft or attempted theft (forced entry/exit). You need to check this out with your Insurance Company.

When you report a crime to the Police, they will investigate the complaint thoroughly, and will prosecute anyone who makes a false or misleading statement.

You will also have to give us a statement in support of your claim and you must sign a declaration form, which we will provide. This can be used in evidence if your complaint is subsequently found to be fraudulent, which could put your tenancy at risk.

What if the Police force entry into my home?

The Police may need to force entry into your property to detect or prevent a crime. If evidence of crime is detected by the Police, the cost of any repairs is your responsibility as a tenant. If there is no evidence of crime, there will not be a recharge.

Comments or complaints

If you have any comments or complaints about the way we have handled the matter of recharges, you can contact:

Housing Service Centre: 01978 298993

Fax: 01978 315320
Post: Housing Repairs, Ruthin Road, Wrexham, LL13 7TU
Email: housingrepairs@wrexham.gov.uk

Minicom: 01978 292067

All Estate Offices have a dedicated telephone during office hours if you are unable to make the call at home.