Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction
- Claim a council tax exemption
- Claim housing benefit
- View housing benefit account
- Claim a council tax refund
- Making a Claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
- Claim Forms & Pro-forma
- Evidence Requirements
- Tackling Benefit Fraud
You may have heard about the UK Government's plans to reform the welfare and benefits system from April 2013. Council Tax Benefit is one of the benefits that will be affected by the changes and from next year, the responsibility for helping people with their council tax bills is being transferred to the Welsh Government.
We are working with the Welsh Government to develop a new scheme to replace Council Tax Benefit in Wales and will publish more information before the new scheme is introduced.
If you are on a low income and having trouble paying your rent and council tax, you maybe entitled to Housing and Council Tax Benefit.
Applying for Housing and Council Tax Benefit is easy and it won’t affect your entitlement to other benefits.
Wrexham County Borough Council has been awarded funding by the Welsh Assembly to improve the take up of Housing and Council Tax Benefit, and this improved website is aimed at helping you to claim what you are entitled to.
How to use this site
This website has been designed with new or potential claimants in mind. Across the top of this page there are three icons which will give you the information and assistance you need in order to claim Housing and Council Tax Reduction:
- Benefit Claim Forms and related documents.
- Evidence Requirements – what information do you need to provide.
- Local Housing Allowance Room Calculator and Rates (for private tenants only). See how much Housing Benefit you could get before you rent your new home.
There is a menu showing related links:
- Contact Details – where to send your claim and seek advice.
- Advice Leaflets – a range of leaflets written in plain language and available in a number of different languages.
- New Claimants – contains a large amount of information about how we determine your benefit claim and who is and isn’t entitled to claim.
- Existing Claimants – contains a large amount of information about everything you need to know in relation to the on-going administration of your claim.
After these sections there is a further link for people who need additional financial assistance with their rent :
- Discretionary Housing Benefit – for people who are struggling to pay their bills despite receiving Housing Benefit.
The following chapters relate to what you should expect from us:
- Our Performance – the standards we actually reach.
We have a dedicated section for landlords:
- Landlords – contains all the information a landlord needs to know about Housing Benefit.
And we have four further sections aimed at helping you find your way around this site and the world of benefits:
- Useful Links – contains links to website of specific interest to people claiming Housing and Council Tax Benefit.
- Glossary – a dedicated section aimed at explaining some of the complicated terminology used in Housing and Council Tax Benefits.
- Frequently Asked Questions – a miscellany of commonly asked questions.
- Sitemap – to aid you locate the page that you need.
We hope you find the information in these pages useful and informative. Please note that it can’t attempt to cover every individual’s circumstances but we do attempt to cover the circumstances that the vast majority of our citizens will encounter. Should the information you require be unavailable on this site please contact the Benefits section who will be able to help you.
Should you have any comments or suggestions about this site please contact the Benefits section. We are continually striving to improve our service to you.