Wrexham Council homepage


Who is treated as living with me?

The people that live with you as your immediate family unit are deemed to be your household. This will usually consist of:

We define your partner(s) as being the person that you are:

Should you and your partner live apart on a temporary basis they will still be counted as part of your household assuming they are intending to return to your home and the absence is likely to be less than 52 weeks.

We define your children as:

Ordinarily this means that you are entitled to receive Child Benefit for your child. We will need to see evidence of your Child Benefit to determine whether your children should be treated as your dependants or non-dependants.

Please note that dependant children cease to be so when they leave full time education or training, advance into advanced education (usually university), or turn 20 years of age. If they still reside with you after these events they will then become deemed to be a non-dependants.


A non-dependant is someone who lives within your family unit on a non-commercial basis. Most commonly this tends to be grown up children and relations. Please note that, although your grown up children and relations may pay you monies for lodging with you, we will not consider this to be a commercial arrangement, as it isn’t legally enforceable arrangement.

Relatives staying on a temporary basis and who normally reside elsewhere are not deemed to be part of your household.

There are certain persons who can reside with you that we do not consider to be non-dependants or part of your household, these include:

Why is it important to determine what my household is?

Based upon your household composition we will be able to determine the amount of money that the Government deems to be the minimum amount of money that your family needs to live upon. We would call this your applicable amount.

Assuming your income falls below this level you will also be entitled to claim income support, job seekers allowance or guaranteed pension credit, and you will receive maximum Housing and / or Council Tax Benefit.

Should your income be higher than this amount, you may still be entitled to some Housing and Council Tax Benefit.