Code of Conduct for Members
- Part I - Interpretation
- Part II - General Provisions
- Part III - Interests
- Part IV - The Register of Members' Interests
- How to report a possible breach of the Members' Code of Conduct
Standards Committee Reports
Currently there are no reports.
1.-(1) In this code:
“co-opted member”, in relation to a relevant authority, means a person who is not a member of the authority but who -
- (a) is a member of any committee or sub-committee of the authority, or
- (b) is a member of, and represents the authority on, any joint committee or joint sub-committee of the authority
and who is entitled to vote on any question which falls to be decided at any meeting of that committee or sub-committee;
"meeting" means any meeting -
- (a) of the relevant authority,
- (b) of any executive or board of the relevant authority,
- (c) of any committee, sub-committee, joint committee or joint sub-committee of the relevant authority or of any such committee, sub-committee, joint committee or joint sub-committee of any executive or board of the authority, or
- (d) where members or officers of the relevant authority are present other than a meeting of a political group constituted in accordance with regulation 8 of the Local Government (Committees and Political Groups) Regulations 1990(1),
and includes circumstances in which a member of an executive or board or an officer acting alone exercises a function of an authority;
"member" includes, unless the context requires otherwise, a co-opted member;
"relevant authority" means
- (a) a county council,
- (b) a county borough council,
- (c) a community council,
- (d) a fire and rescue authority constituted by a scheme under section 2 of the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004(2) or a scheme to which section 4 of that Act applies,
- (e) a National Park authority established under section 63 of the Environment Act 1995(3);
"you" means you as a member or co-opted member of a relevant authority; and
"your authority" means the relevant authority of which you are a member or co-opted member.
(2) In relation to a community council, references to an authority's monitoring officer and an authority's standards committee are to be read, respectively, as references to the monitoring officer and the standards committee of the county or county borough council which has functions in relation to the community council for which it is responsible under section 56(2) of the Local Government Act 2000.
(1) S.I. 1990/1553 as amended by S.I. 1991/1389; S.I. 1993/1339; S.I. 1998/1918; and S.I. 1999/500.
(2) 2004 c.21.
(3) 1995 c.25.