Historical Background to the Mayors of Wrexham

Prior to 1857, the administration of Wrexham was undertaken largely by the manorial courts of the leading gentry, and the parish Vestry. The manorial courts had become incapable of coping with increasingly complicated local government duties long before 1857 and the Church’s Vestry compensated by adding secular matters to its original church business.

However, problems of administering local government remained with different authorities controlling different matters within Wrexham and public health issues in particular causing problems. Leading townsfolk decided to petition the Privy Council to grant the town a Charter of Incorporation which was granted on the 23 September 1857.

The Charter of Incorporation laid the broad democratic basis upon which modern local government was to develop in Wrexham, and saw the founding of the Borough Council of Wrexham with Wrexham’s first Mayor, Thomas Edgworth.

Today, the Mayors of Wrexham are elected from amongst the members of the Council at its Annual Meeting and serve a term of one year, although in past years some mayors have served in the post for two or more years.

The Mayoral Year is always busy and includes 5 formal civic events: The Annual Meeting of the Council, Civic Visit to Church, Royal Welch Fusiliers Reunion Weekend, a Charity Ball and Annual Service of Remembrance.

In addition to the more formal civic events, an average Mayoral Year will see the Mayor attending over 400 engagements.

The Mayor will of course receive many more invitations and many of these will be attended by the Deputy Mayor.

At the beginning of his year the Mayor may nominate a charity or charities which will receive the proceeds from his fundraising during the year.

In recent years, locally based charities have received several thousand pounds as a result of the Mayor’s Charity Fund. In addition to the nominated charities the Mayor considers requests for donations from needy individuals and other worthy causes.

List of Previous Mayors of Wrexham

back to the top