School Meals Catering Service
Wrexham County Borough Council's School Meals Catering Service continually works towards providing a good range of healthier meal choices, in order to fulfil some of the nutritional requirements of growing and developing children.
The School meals catering service in primary schools offer a fixed price two course menu, with a daily choice of two main course meals, or filled jacket potatoes and salad or a packed lunch, plus a freshly prepared pudding or fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- Infant School Meal - £2.25
- Junior School Meal - £2.30
- Secondary School and St Christophers Daily Special and Free Meal Allowance - £2.30
- Adult Meals - £3.05
Vegetable choices are offered daily, along with a variety of carbohydrate alternatives including rice and pasta. Chips should be available only once a week.
The school meal gives children an excellent opportunity to try new foods early in their developing years. Whilst catering staff make every effort to encourage youngsters to choose healthy meals it is vital that parents and schools do the same. With their support we can encourage children to change their eating habits and select the healthy choices available on a regular basis.
The challenge for all school meals caterers is to provide food that pupils will enjoy and eat, and which also promotes good eating habits
Why Choose a School Meal For Your Child?
- Freshly prepared nutritious meals, using basic wholesome ingredients.
- Fully trained and qualified catering staff who care, and will make every effort to encourage your child to choose a healthy meal.
- 3 week cycle menu, with a varied choice of meal options.
- Menus, which comply with the nutritional standards for school lunches, set by the Welsh Government.
- The school meal offers good value for money.
- Special dietary needs can be catered for.
- Vegetarian choices available daily.
- Development of social skills.
- Food to help children think and grow.
- Increase in concentration levels in the afternoon after eating a well balanced school lunch.
School Meals v Packed Lunch
Preparing a packed lunch for your child might not be as cost effective as you think. With food costs continually rising, it’s worth looking at the benefits of a Healthy Packed Lunch option prepared by the school meals catering service.
A School Meals Packed Lunch includes:
- Choice of sandwich, wrap or roll (to include cheese, tuna, meat or egg filling) or a pasta salad box.
- Choice of fresh fruit
- Pure fruit juice
- Shortbread, oaty biscuit or yoghurt
All School Meals Packed Lunches are properly stored in refrigerated conditions until required at lunchtime.
If your child is entitled to a free meal, a packed lunch can be provided on request.
The school meals packed lunches can provide a well balanced healthy meal for your child. All lunches are fully compliant with the nutritional guidelines and can provide important nutrients which they require to help them grow, and develop in their early years.
Try a safe and nutritious School Meals Packed Lunch for the same price as a school meal. Packed lunches can be requested in advance or selected from the counter at lunchtime.