A landscaped Parkland with mature specimen trees and gently undulating expanses of grass areas with recent tree planting. There are also areas of ornamental shrubberies, and wild bulb planting.
The lake provides the centre feature of the park. It was originally constructed using puddled clay in the 18th Century but during the 1970s, the pond was drained and butyl lined. Fishing is popular on the lake with the Acton Park Community Angling Club been the resident club. Fishing is restricted to members and day tickets anglers. Day Tickets are available from fishing tackle shops in the Wrexham area. (The lake is closed for fishing during the Wildfowl nesting period.) A wetland area exists and supports a diverse range of wildlife.
Children’s Play Areas
The park has play provision for Toddlers and Juniors alike. The areas are fenced to prevent access by dogs and safer surface is provided beneath the play equipment.
The bowling green is home to the Cunliffe Bowling Club, but remains open to the public when matches are not taking place. The bowling season runs from April - September.
There are two bitumen macadam tennis courts in the park. The courts are free to use.
Wild Flower Meadow
A designated area managed to benefit wildlife as one of the Wrexham Bio-diversity Action Plan ‘Urban Green Space’ areas. Native wild meadow flowers have been planted to the existing grass to assist in providing habitats for insects and other fauna, increasing the bio-diversity of the parkland.
There are two parking areas for a limited amount of vehicles located at Herbert Jennings Avenue and behind the Cunliffe Pub on Jeffery’s Road.
The park land was originally laid out in 1785 by the landowner Sir. Foster Cunliffe. The whole park was enclosed within a stone wall and were the grounds of Aston Hall. Acton was designed by James Wyatt (For Cunliffe). Many of the beautiful mature specimen trees which survive today were planted at this time and the general park layout and picturesque positioning of the lake were part of the original park layout.
The estate did not remain within the Cunliffe family ownership and has passed through several owners throughout the years. In 1947 the Council was presented with the hall and parklands by, the then owner, Alderman William Aston. By then the grounds had become very overgrown and a programme of restoration was implemented.
Between 1930 & 1970, about half of the park was developed as an area for housing. The remaining 55 acres of the original estate forms the majority of the present day park.
Even though the area was not initially designed as a ‘park’, it now features a bowling green, tennis courts, children’s play areas, a Japanese garden, Gorsedd Circle and a lake with abundant wildlife.