Bellevue is a popular traditional park within easy walking distance of the town centre. The visitor is presented with a splendid formal landscape in the Edwardian style. There are a large number of mature trees which make up the shaded lime avenues that radiate from the bandstand area along with areas of new tree planting and ornamental shrub beds. A landscaped rockery containing plants authentic Edwardian period plants leads up to the bowling greens.
A network of well surfaced curving pathways allow you access to all corners of the Park. In the evening, illumination from period lamp stands adds to your strolling pleasure. An elevated knoll, adjacent to the basket ball court, offers splendid views over Wrexham, the Parish Church and the surrounding hills. There is also a sensory garden at the entrance to the Park overlooked by the imposing statue of Queen Victoria.
Bellevue Park was one of the first two parks in Wrexham to be awarded the Green Flag accreditation in 2005 in recognition of the high standard of grounds maintenance, leisure facilities, community involvement and management. The accreditation has been awarded each year since then.
Children's Play Areas
The Park has play provision for toddlers and juniors alike. The areas are fenced to prevent access by dogs and rubber “Safer Surface” is provided beneath the play equipment.
The two bowling greens are very well used, and are a popular venue for inter-county matches. Whilst the Park is the home of the Parciau Bowling Club, the public are welcome to play.
There is a full sized football pitch open for use by everyone except during match days when local club matches take place.
There are three permanent bitumen macadam tennis courts in the Park with provision for a further two courts during busy periods. There is no charge for use of the courts.
A permanent basketball court marked out on a bitumen macadam court.
Measured Walking and Jogging Route
There is a measured 0.8km route around the Park for joggers and walkers to use and test themselves.
Car parking is very limited but there are disabled car parking spaces outside the community centre.
An accessible automated toilet is situated by the tennis courts and costs 20p.
The bandstand, an original Edwardian feature, sits in a landscaped amphitheatre and is used for concerts and bands throughout the summer. The programme is designed to cater for all tastes of music.
Annual Events & Summer Activity Programme
Events and activities for all ages are organised by the Park Ranger throughout the year. Please ring 01978 264150 for information about these. Information is also available in the Parks and Countryside Events Leaflet and on this web site by clicking on the link below.
Proposals for a park in Wrexham were first put forward in 1876. Years later, land formerly belonging to the Wynnstay estate, partly used for sand and gravel extraction was considered as suitable.
It wasn't until 1907 that the site known as Bellevue, was purchased by the Borough Council for £4346 1s 7d. In 1908 the Council resolved to call the park “The Parciau” and a competition was held in 1909 for the best design. Preliminary work on laying out the Park was begun the same year. Development began in 1910 with the entrance gates, park railings and Lodge being provided by public subscriptions.
The first tenant of the Lodge became the Parks Superintendent on 17th February 1914. Two bowling greens were constructed, one to be a “crown” green and the other a “flat” green and were opened to the public on 30th May 1914. The construction of the bandstand also dates to 1914 and was opened on the afternoon of 19th August by the mayor. It was often used for Sunday brass band concerts.
In 1916 a cannon dating from the Crimean War bearing the inscription: “Captured Sevastopol 1855”, was relocated from Guildhall Square to the Parciau.
The residents of Wrexham made an enormous contribution to the war effort between 1914 and 1918 in raising six million pounds in War Loans. In recognition of this a "Landship" tank Mark 1 was given to the Local War Savings Committee and this was proudly displayed in the Park.
The tank was sold for scrap in 1928 to make way for a statue of Queen Victoria which was moved from the Guildhall Square in 1928 to its present location. The statue was donated by the sculptor Henry price in 1905 to mark the coronation of King Edward VII.
The Second War was a bleak period for the Park. Between 1940 and 1942 the Council sold off non essential iron for scrap, including the Crimean War cannon and park boundary railings to help the war effort.The Parciau played its part in the “Dig for Victory” campaign between 1941 and 1944 when the land was given over to the production of tomatoes and vegetables. The eastern part of the park was ploughed up and used to grow potatoes, planted by children from local schools.
By the late 1960's disuse and disrepair lead to calls for demolition of the bandstand. However, a restoration project in 1973 saved this important feature. The pavilion was also converted in the 1970's to provide a Community Centre.
The Park was extensively revitalised and re-furbished in 1999 to its original Edwardian splendour with assistance from the Heritage Lottery, Urban Parks Project, Welsh Development Agency and European Regional Development Fund. A grand opening to mark the occasion was held in June 2000.
Friends of Bellevue Park
The Friends of Bellevue is a voluntary community group set up in 2001. The group meets monthly along with staff to discuss any developments or future plans and acts as a means of communicating with park users and the local community. The group organises various events throughout the year and fundraises to help improve Bellevue. If you would like to join the Friends group please call either Barbara Jones 01978 262035 or the Park Ranger 01978 264150.