Wrexham Council homepage


Licensing of Events


If your proposed event involves one or more of the following activities then you are likely to need to obtain a license (or temporary event notice) under the Licensing Act 2003.

What is Regulated Entertainment?

The following kinds of entertainment are subject to regulation:

  1. Plays
  2. Film exhibitions
  3. Indoor sporting events
  4. Boxing or wrestling exhibitions
  5. Live music (karaoke included)
  6. Recorded music
  7. Dancing by the public or performers
  8. Any entertainment similar to that described in 5, 6 or 7 above

There are certain allowances and exemptions to the above so we would advise you to contact a member of Wrexham Council's Licensing Team to discuss the details of your proposed event. We will then be able to provide you with more specific advice.

The contact details for the Licensing Service are: Tel. 01978 315788 or 01978 298990 or Email public_protection_service@wrexham.gov.uk

Further information (including fees, charges and ways to make applications) is available in the Licensing pages of our website at: www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/licensing/index.htm

What about one off events and special occasions?

If you are holding a licensable activity that falls into one of the following categories:

You can hold your event by submitting a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to the Licensing Authority.

This notice allows you to hold a licensable activity on premises that are not currently licensed, or to hold activities that an existing licence does not permit.

This would include for example:

Certain restrictions apply to TENs (please speak to a member of the Licensing Team for clarification). If your event/activity falls outside these restrictions, you will require a full Premises Licence.

Large Temporary Events

This Section relates to applications for large events that are temporary in nature, but cannot be authorised under a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) because of the number of persons who will be present or because the event spans more days than permitted by a TEN. Generally, these events will be licensed under a time limited Premises License lasting for the duration of the event.

The Licensing Authority advises persons wishing to hold such events to contact the Licensing Authority for advice prior to making an application. Applicants are also strongly advised to read "The Event Safety Guide" / "The Purple Guide"

See links:

The Licensing Authority will ask applicants seeking a time limited premises Licence for a large event to attend a meeting of the Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG).

The ESAG consists of officers from 'Responsible Authorities' such as North Wales Police, North Wales Fire Service, the Council's Noise Team, the Council's Health and Safety Team and the Fire Authority in addition to officers from other relevant departments and agencies such as Highways, Emergency Planning and the Welsh Ambulance Service.

In cases where a ESAG meeting is considered necessary, the Council's Emergency Planning Team shall contact the applicant to advise them of the requirement and arrange a suitable date and time for the meeting.

Applicants will be invited to present their application and details of their event to the ESAG. The applicant shall be expected to bring a draft Event Management Plan (EMP) with them to the meeting so the members can consider whether the event is being run safely and will cause minimum disruption to the environment in terms of nuisance, traffic management and so forth.

The ESAG does not determine licence applications or impose conditions, but will assist applicants to produce an acceptable EMP for their event.

An EMP is a statement of how an event organiser will run their event. It incorporates such areas as risk assessment, traffic and transport planning, first aid, stewarding, site layout, audience profiles, temporary structures,barriers,emergency planning and evacuation plans, noise management, litter disposal and communication protocols.

Applicants are strongly urged to consult the ESAG and produce a draft EMP prior to submitting their licence application. Where an EMP is considered inadequate to promote the licensing objectives, a responsible authority may make a representation to the Licensing Authority about the application which will necessitate a review.

Generally, applicants are advised to offer only the following conditions in their Operating Schedule:

  1. The Licensee shall comply with the Event Management Plan submitted to the Licensing Authority and no changes shall be made to the Event Management Plan without the prior written consent of the Licensing Authority.
  2. The Event shall be run in accordance with the Event Management plan submitted to the Licensing Authority. No changes shall be made to the site plan without the prior written consent of the Licensing Authority.

This approach allows the event organiser flexibility to make changes to the layout of the event or to specific activities without the need to make a fresh application for a Premises Licence or an application to vary the Premises Licence already granted. Without this approach, any changes made could be unauthorised and possibly result in enforcement action.

An example Event Management Plan can be downloaded.

N.B. This is only an example and it is likely that you will need to add, adapt, alter and improve upon the detail in the content accordingly to arrive at a tailored, robust plan that reflects the specifics of your event.

Entertainment licensing: changes under the Live Music Act

The Live Music Act 2012 extends the range of live music performances that can take place without a licence under the 2003 Licensing Act.

You no longer need a special licence to stage a live music performance if:

Live music that doesn't need a licence

Examples of performances that generally don't need a licence under the Act are:

The Live Music Act regulates live performances, not recorded music.

You are advised to check with the Council's Licensing Service to confirm whether you need a license.

For further information visit www.gov.uk, Department for Culture, Media & Sport.