Wrexham Council homepage


Trading Standards Services

This page describes the range of services that Wrexham County Borough Council Trading Standards provides, plus links to an online questions form and an online views and comments form.

Business Advice

We provide advice to businesses to help them comply with the law.

The ts broadcast system provides a tailor made advice pack for your business. Simply answer the questions below and the system will then generate a list of topics about your area(s) of interest.

By checking the boxes beside the trading standards subjects which interest you, you can select the most relevant areas. These will be saved into one file which makes it easy for you to save or print the information which matters to you. The information is regularly updated by experts at the Trading Standards Institute (external link).

If you have any specific questions you wish to ask us please use the Your Questions online form available on this website.

Citizens Advice Consumer Service (CACS)

CACS advise, assist and educate consumers to help them buy wisely and take action on faulty goods and services, a comprehensive list of guidance notes and leaflets can be obtained from www.adviceguide.org.uk and www.tradingstandards.uk .

CACS is your initial point of contact for consumer related issues, however, if more detailed assistance is required CACS will refer the details of your complaint through to the Wrexham Trading Standards Division for an Advisory Officer or Enforcement Officer to investigate.

1. How Your Complaint Is Investigated By Trading Standards

On receipt of a referral from CACS, we will contact you within 2 working days to confirm we have your information, if we are unable to reach you by phone a letter will be sent to you asking for you to contact an officer. In some cases we may be able to answer your query immediately and provide comprehensive advice to help you in the next stage of your enquiry. Alternatively it may be necessary to view your documents and terms and conditions.

We may contact the trader to try and negotiate an acceptable outcome. This is not possible in every situation.

You may need to obtain expert advice at some stage to support your claim. You would be responsible for any fee charged by the expert.

If negotiations fail you may decide to take action through the Civil Courts. Claims for £10,000 or less are normally dealt with on the Small Claims Track. There is a fee to pay which would be your responsibility. We can help and advise with the preparation of Court documents.

Our service is free.

2. What You Can Do To Help

3. What We Are Unable To Do

4. Frequently Asked Questions

Please also see Frequently Asked Questions about Trading Standards

5. Consumer Support Pack

This pack contains information about a number of consumer related issues such as:

6. Contacting Citizens Advice Consumer Service

Telephone: 08454 04 05 06

Email: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/consumer/

Calibration Service

We offer a comprehensive calibration service for businesses and offer calibrations to M1 accuracy in the range 1mg - 25kg.

Licences and Application Forms

We are responsible for licensing the storage of fireworks, explosives, petroleum (including petroleum mixtures), poisons, nurses agencies and animal movements (as part of the Animal Movement Licensing System).

Your Questions

We welcome questions about the service, and legislation we enforce from consumers and the business community, normally we can only assist residents and traders from Wrexham.

Please use the Your Questions online form available on this website.

Your Views

Trading Standards undertake a wide range of tasks to protect consumers and help businesses. We would like to know your views on our service, recent initiatives and how we should be developing the service.

To tell us your views, please use the Your Views online form available on this website.