Wrexham Council homepage


Frequently Asked Questions - Enforcement Services

What if there weren’t any bins around where I was fined?

It is not feasible for the council to put litter bins on every street, road and highway in the district as this would not be practical or affordable. Every effort is made to place bins where these are needed, generally around the highest levels of pedestrian footfall.

Dog poo once bagged can be placed in any litter bin, not only the designated dog poo bins.

Where bins are not available then it is up to you to act responsibly and carry your litter to a bin or take your litter home.

Why should I pay if there were no signs about littering, dog fouling or flytipping in the area?

The council are not required to place signs in every area to tell people not to litter and inform them about the litter patrols. However, the council has put up signs in areas of high footfall warning the public that enforcement action is taking place in the area.

I received a Fixed Penalty Notice for dropping a cigarette butt, surely they don't count as litter?

Yes they do. Litter includes cigarette butts and chewing gum. These two items tend to be more of a nuisance and more expensive to clean than other items of rubbish.

Smokers are responsible for ensuring that they completely extinguish their cigarettes before placing them in a bin.

If I pick up my litter after an officer has approached me do I still get a fine?

Litter offences relate to the act of dropping litter so whether or not you volunteer to pick this up afterwards you have still committed an offence and will still receive a fine.

I committed the offence on private land, do you still have the right to give me a Fixed Penalty Notice?

In accordance with Section 87 (2)&(3) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, the Council (or the contracted enforcer) can issue a ticket on any land which is open to the public.

What if I don’t agree I’ve committed an offence? Can I appeal a fixed penalty notice?

There are no formal grounds of appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice. This is because by paying a Fixed Penalty Notice, whilst not an admission of guilt, you agree that an offence has been committed and that by paying no further action will be taken by the council.

This saves time for everyone involved (including the offender) as opposed to taking the case to court. The fine is likely to be substantially lower than any fine imposed by the courts. For example the maximum penalty which can be imposed by the courts for littering is £2,500.

If you don’t agree that you have committed the offence for which you received the Fixed Penalty Notice then the matter will be dealt with through formal prosecution via the courts.

However, any mitigating circumstances that you wish to make us aware of can be communicated by e-mailing environmentalcrime@wrexham.gov.uk

Please note, the Council’s Complaints Procedure cannot consider the merits of any challenge against the issuing of a Fixed Penalty Notice, for the reasons stated above.

I have limited funds and I will not be able to pay within the 14 days what can I do?

If you have been issued a fine for littering and dog fouling you can contact the Council to explain your circumstances.

External Links