Wrexham Council homepage


Frequently Asked Questions - Pest Control

What pests do you treat?

See Pest Control Services for more information.

The following pests are covered by the service:

  • Rats
  • Mice
  • Cockroaches
  • Fleas
  • Wasps

Bedbugs – the service does not carry out treatments for bedbugs, however we do offer a free inspection, identification and advice service. You should call 01978 292040 to arrange for an Officer to visit. Private tenants should report bedbug problems to their landlord. If the landlord is not prepared to carry out the treatment, then the tenant should contact us, providing us with all the landlords details, and we will contact them directly.

We can also treat for the following pests; however, response to such requests is dependant upon the demands of the service and the circumstances of the infestation. You will be advised when you call of the service availability:

  • Ants
  • Silverfish
  • Carpet beetle
  • Plaster beetle
  • Earwigs
  • Flies
  • Psocids
  • Other stored food pests
  • Woodlouse

The service DOES NOT provide treatment for the following pests:

Bees; Rabbit; Fox; Mole; Squirrel; Spider; Moth; Feral Cat; Bat; Feral Pigeon; Woodworm and wood boring beetles; Garden or horticultural pests such as snails, slugs, crane flies, may bugs, vine weevils etc.

If you have problems with any of these pests you may wish to try a private pest control company. Contact details can be found in local business directories.

For advice on other pests not listed please contact the Public Protection Department on 01978 298989, email: contact-us@wrexham.gov.uk or by completing the online pest control enquiry form. There are other private contractors available to deal with pest infestations and your business telephone directory will list these.

Is there a charge for the Service?

There is a charge for the pest control service. View the current charges on Pest Control Services for more information.

You will be required to pay for the service at the time of making the request.

Payment can be made over the phone by credit or debit card. If you prefer you can send a cheque made payable to Wrexham County Borough Council to the address below. Alternatively you can pay in person by calling into the Housing & Public Protection Department, Crown Buildings, Chester Street, Wrexham LL13 8BG. You should note that treatment will not be carried out until payment is received.

Pest Control is not a statutory function of the Council. The charges applied to the service cover the cost of the treatment. The aim is to provide the population of Wrexham County Borough with an affordable professional pest control service.

You can request a Pest Control Service by completing an online pest control request form, or by calling 01978 298989, or by email: contact-Us@wrexham.gov.uk. You will need to supply your name, address and other contact details if we are to act on your complaint.

How quickly can you respond to my problem?

We operate an appointment booking system for our pest control service. We have found that by offering appointments requests for treatment are generally responded to much quicker than previously.

When you call to request a treatment you will be offered a date when an Officer can call, and either a morning or afternoon time slot. Appointment slots are in the morning - between 8.30am and 12.00 noon, and in the afternoon - between 1.00pm and 5.30pm. You must appreciate that it is not possible to book a specific time for an Officer to call.

Depending on the type and location of your problem you may not need to be present when the Officer calls. However, when you book your appointment you must inform us if you will not be there. You will be asked to verbally agree to the officer coming onto your property and carrying out treatment in your absence.

If the nearest appointment possible is a few days away, you should ask for advice on how to deal with the problem in the meantime.

What are your hours of service?

Our Call Centre is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5.30pm. Our Pest Control Officers also work between these hours.

We do not provide a service outside normal office hours. For problems outside normal hours of service you are advised to contact a private pest control company for assistance or use the links provided here for advice on how best to deal with the pest.

How do I make a request for the service, or for help or advice?

To request a pest control treatment you should call the Housing and Public Protection Department on 01978 298989. For general help or information about a pest or pests you can email: contact-us@wrexham.gov.uk or by completing the online pest control request form.