Get Involved – Scrutiny in Wrexham
Scrutiny Committees consist of all Members (also known as Councillors) who are not Members of the Executive Board. Their main purpose is to review and improve Council services, to make recommendations on future policy options and to act as a check on the Executive Board by holding it to account for its decisions.
The Scrutiny function is therefore important in demonstrating the Council's accountability. For example, Scrutiny Members can request Executive Board Members and Officers to attend their meetings to account for their decisions.
There are five Scrutiny Committees in Wrexham:
- Employment, Business & Investment Scrutiny Committee (Economy)
- Safeguarding, Communities and Well-being Scrutiny Committee (People/Place)*
- Homes and Environment Scrutiny Committee (Place)
- Customers, Performance & Resources Scrutiny Committee (Organisation)
- Lifelong Learning (People)
The Co-Chairs Co-ordinating Group oversees and co-ordinates the workload of the five Scrutiny Committees.
- Review policies and decisions
- Be involved in developing policies
- Hold Executive Board and Council Officers to account
- Undertake reviews to deliver improvements to services
- Review and scrutinise the services of external agencies that affect the people of Wrexham
- Make evidence-based recommendations
- Refer recommendations to the Executive Board or full Council, as appropriate
Scrutiny Committees can take suggestions from various sources, including the public, individual Members and Officers. Each Committee can also identify their own area to review.
Scrutiny Members would consider what the priorities are in Wrexham, what needs reviewing and where Scrutiny could make a difference. Their work programmes are however, kept flexible to take account fo new issues that may arise unexpectedly.
Members of the public can attend Scrutiny Committee meetings, except where personal or confidential items are being considered.
Each Committee usually meets every month, although additional meetings may ne called.
At present most meetings take place in the Guildhall, Wrexham. If appropriate, meetings will take place at other venues. Should you wish to attend or be involved in a meeting of a Scrutiny Committee, please read the public engagement protocol below.
The Scrutiny Team can give you further information about how you can get involved. You can contact them on 01978 292179 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org