Wrexham Council homepage

Advertising

Web Timeline - History of the Borough Council

1849 Board of Health inquiry into condition of Wrexham

1851 Wrexham Improvement Bill

1857 Wrexham receives its Charter of Incorporation

1869 Borough Council opens new sewerage works at Hafod y Wern

1869 Borough Council petitions Parliament for abolition of all toll gates in the borough

1871 Wrexham School Board established

1875 Council builds new Smithfield market

1876 Borough Council opens Ruabon Road cemetery

1878 Wrexham's first public library

1883 Borough Council buy the old Grammar School on Chester Street and convert it into the Guildhall

1884 Library moves to new Guildhall

1888 Borough Council establish Wrexham Science & Art School

1894-1895 Borough Council establish own Fire Brigade and build a fire station in Guildhall Square

1895 Grove Park County School for Boys established, Girls school established a year later

1898 Borough Council purchase Market rights in Wrexham

1901 Victoria Board Schools open on Poyser Street

1901 First public swimming baths open on Tuttle Street

1906 Thomas Bury, former town clerk, becomes first Honorary Freeman of the Borough

1907 Borough Council buy the Parciau and Carnegic public library opens

1920 Borough Council starts building in Acton Park, its first housing development

1923 David Lloyd George becomes an Honorary Freeman of the Borough

1930s Borough Council build Spring Lodge & Maes y Dre housing

1935 Borough of Wrexham extends to include Acton, Stansty and parts of the parishes of Gwersyllt, Broughton and Bersham

1946 Royal Welch Fusiliers receive Honorary Freedom of the Borough

1950 Building starts in Queen's Park (Caia Park)

1951 Welsh language primary school opens in Wrexham

1953 Denbighshire Technical College opens

1957 Official opening of Memorial hall, Bodhyfryd

1961 Princess Alexandra opens new Guildhall at Llwyn Isaf

1963 Wrexham's first Welsh language secondary school, Ysgol Morgan Llwyd, opens

1970 Twinning partnership made with Kreis Iserlohm, Markischer Kreis, West Germany

1970 Waterworld - Wrexham's new swimming pool opens

1972 Wrexham's secondary schools 'go comprehensive'

1974 New Wrexham Library opens at Llwyn Isaf

1974 Borough of Wrexham merges with Wrexham Rural District and Maelor Rural District to form Wrexham Maelor

1978 Trevor L Williams - last individual to become an Honorary Freeman of the Borough

1996 Wrexham County Borough Council established