Making Steel c. 1960–1990
Electricity provided new ways to make steel. Brymbo’s first electric arc furnace was built in 1939. In 1956 GKN (Guest, Keen & Nettlefold Ltd., owners of Brymbo Steelworks) decided to build a new melting shop. The new works was built on a huge artificial plateau made of slag, the waste from the steelworks. People had to leave their homes in the Lodge to make way for this new development.
In 1961 a new cogging mill was installed to roll ingots up to 54 cwt (2750 kg) in weight compared to only 15cwt (765 kg) using the old mill. After the construction of a new 70-ton electric arc furnace in 1972, the old 28” rolling mill was too slow to keep up. So in 1976 GKN decided to build a new bar and billet mill.
- 1. The Electric Arc Furnace, the Refiner and the Mixer
- 2. The Electric Arc Furnace
- 3. Tapping the Electric Arc furnace
- 4. ‘Pitmen’ prepare the casting pit for teeming molten metal into the ingot moulds
- 5. Inside Bar and Billet Mill
- 6. Inside the Bar and Billet Mill