A N Palmer
Alfred Neobard Palmer was born in Thetford, Norfolk in 10 July 1847. He was educated at Thetford Grammar School and later trained as a chemist. In 1880 he moved to Wrexham and was employed at the Zoedone mineral works in Wrexham. In 1884 he was appointed chief chemist for the Brymbo Steelworks Company but had to give the job up in 1886 when he suffered a breakdown. He set up in practice as an analytical chemist in Chester Street. He took retirement due to ill health and in retirement he devoted himself to local historical research.
He published 10 books on the local history of the area most of which he published himself notably the History of Wrexham, History of the thirteen country townships, History of Gresford, History of the parish church of Wrexham. His research is recorded in a series of notebooks and diaries which are available on microfiche. He also did the field work for three volumes of the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales. In 1905 he was granted a civil list pension. He died 7th March 1915 at Wrexham and is buried at the Wrexham Cemetery at Ruabon Road. There is a commemorative plaque to him in the foyer of Wrexham Library.