Uniform of the Denbighshire Hussars Yeomanry Cavalry
The Denbighshire Hussars escorted the Prince of Wales to his Investiture at Caernarvon Castle in 1911 in uniforms such as the one on display.
The Denbighshire Yeomanry Cavalry became the Denbighshire Hussars in 1876. They trained at the High Town barracks for the Boer War and the two World Wars.
The Denbighshire Yeomanry Cavalry were used to quell colliery workers in Rhos in 1830. The colliery workers were angered by the truck shop system that forced them to spend their wages in shops owned by their employers. They planned to destroy a truck shop owned by the British Ironworks Company. The DYC were ordered to patrol the streets and to 'terrify the mob.' An incident in Rhos was called the Battle of Cinder Hill when overzealous troops had to be brought under control after a demonstrator threw a firework at the soldiers. Cowing the local citizenry was one of the reasons this building was built as a barracks near the town centre.