St Marcella's Church
There has been a church building on or near the current site since the 13th century. The church was restored in 1778, as the Latin inscription on one of the nave windows confirms.
The church has very close links with nearby Erddig Hall and the Yorke family. There is a beautiful stained glass window depicting the Yorke ”family tree”. Just below this window outside the church is the family vault. Further memorials inside the church commemorate different members of the Yorke family, including Phillip Yorke III who died in 1978 after bequeathing the whole of Erddig to the National Trust.
The pipe organ was presented to the church in 1888 by the widow of Benjamin Piercy of Marchwiel Hall. The organ was completely restored in the late 1990’s.
The peal of bells were installed in 1930 to replace a single bell and the church clock was made by Joyce & Co of Whitchurch in 1892.
Limited roadside parking
The Red Lion public house is opposite the church
Places to Visit
Marchwiel Marsh and Nature Reserve
Plassey Craft Centre
Erddig Hall (National Trust)
Bryn y Grog Antiques Emporium
Daily 10.00am - 4.00pm