Life Events: Dealing with Divorce

Getting a divorce

In order to get a divorce you need to have been married for more than twelve months. You will also need to show that the marriage has broken down.

To prove that the marriage has broken down you will need to show one of the following:


You do not need to know the identity of the person that your spouse has committed adultery with and you do not need to name them on the Divorce Petition. However, if your spouse denies the adultery then you may be requested to prove it. This can be very difficult and for this reason divorce petitions based on this ground do not always succeed.

Unreasonable Behaviour

You will be asked to give examples in the divorce petition about your spouse's unreasonable behaviour. You must also state why this has made it difficult for you to continue living with them. You may use adultery as an example and you would not need to prove the adultery. This may be a better option than relying on adultery as the only ground.

2 Years Desertion

You will need to supply the date of when your spouse left you and show that you have not heard from your partner since that date. You cannot start divorce proceedings until your spouse has been left for two years.

2 Years Separation

In order to use this ground for divorce your spouse must agree to the divorce. You will need to put the date of the separation on the divorce petition and state briefly the reason for the separation. If you do not know the exact date of the separation you can give an approximate date as long as it can be clearly shown that two years have passed.

5 Years Separation

You do not need your spouse's consent to divorce on this ground. This ground is therefore useful if you know that you will have difficulty getting your spouse's consent. You will need to give details of the date of the separation and brief reasons why you separated.

Getting a marriage annulled

Under certain circumstances you may be able to have your marriage annulled. You must apply to annul the marriage within a reasonable period of time, in some cases this will be three years. There is no requirement to have been married for twelve months.

Examples of when you may seek an annulment of your marriage are:

  • The marriage has not been consummated.

  • At the time of marriage your spouse was already married to someone else.

  • One of you was under 16 years of age when you get married.

  • You have married a close relative.

  • Your spouse had a venereal disease at the time of marriage and they knew about it but you didn't.

  • Your spouse was pregnant with another person's child at the time of the marriage and they knew about it but you didn't.

Finding Legal Advice

You can get free legal and benefit advice from the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Help with legal fees

The legal help scheme helps people with a low income to get free legal advice and assistance. You can get help from the legal help scheme with an undefended divorce, maintenance or disputes over children.

The legal help scheme covers three hours work by a solicitor, however, the solicitor can apply for an extension to finish the work under the scheme.

To be eligible for the scheme you must have a gross monthly income of under £2,000 and capital of under £3,000. If you have a partner, his/her income and capital may be taken into consideration.

If you are claiming Income Support of Income-based Jobseekers Allowance you will be eligible for the scheme. However, if you are not on either of these benefits you may still be eligible for help. Your eligibility will depend on your disposable income, that is the amount of income you have left after deductions have been made for tax, national insurance and deductions for any dependents.

Arranging a divorce yourself

It is possible to do your own divorce without needing to consult a solicitor. However, it should be noted that a do it yourself divorce should only be undertaken if both parties are in agreement about all matters.

The forms can be obtained from your local county court. You will also be able to obtain guidance notes for filling in the forms. - Get a Divorce (external link).

Mediation Services

Mediation offers separating and divorcing couples the opportunity to resolve matters regarding the future by negotiating with each other with the help of a trained mediator. The mediator will ensure that both parties get a fair and equal say.

The sort of things that you may discuss in mediation are:

  • Who the children will live with and access arrangements for the other parent. How you will make decisions about the children in the future.

  • How the family assets are going to be divided, the family home, pensions, maybe a business.

  • How each member of the family is going to be financially supported in both the short term and the long term.

Mediation will not help you to get back together. Couples go to mediation when they have reached the decision that the relationship has irretrievably broken down and they need help to focus on the future.

Children and divorce

The Action for Children (external link) is a charity that gives advice and help for children and parents.

How do I get a copy of my Divorce Decree

Useful Links

Citizen's Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau Service offers free, confidential, impartial and independent advice.

Court Service

The Agency is responsible for the running of most of the courts and tribunals in England & Wales i.e. Crown, County, Appeals, and provides the necessary services to the judiciary and court users to ensure its impartial and efficient operation.

Deed Poll Office | Advice on changing name for people getting divorced

Advice about how to change back to your former name (maiden name) using your divorce documents, and when you'll need a deed poll, as well as general advice on how to go about changing your name and getting all your documents and records updated.

Divorce Aid

Divorce Aid is an independent group of professionals who volunteer their time to help you. Whatever your situation and wherever you are, we hope to provide divorce advice, support and information on any matter concerning you.


Divorce-online is a self-help and information service for England and Wales.


Gingerbread, the leading support organisation for lone parent families in England and Wales.

Inside Divorce - for legal advice, help and support for divorce and marriage problems.

National Family Mediation

National Family Mediation (NFM) is a network of over 60 local not-for-profit Family Mediation Services in England and Wales offering help to couples, married or unmarried who are in the process of separation and divorce.

Sharing Pensions

The website has developed to provide individuals with in-depth knowledge and information regarding pensions in general, pension on divorce, annuities and retirement planning.


Relate is the UK's largest and most experienced relationship counselling organisation. For over 60 years we have been helping people to work through their relationship difficulties and reach their own decisions about the best way forward.

Wrexham County Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external websites

back to the top

Related links