Life Events: Being a Single Parent

Useful Links provided by Wrexham County Borough Council

A-Z of Benefits

The information provided is a brief description of most common benefits available. The list is NOT an authorative statement of law and is intended as a rough guide only. Note that the Social Security System is complex and liable to alteration / change on a regular basis.

Wrexham Family Information Service

The Wrexham Family Information Service provides free information, support and guidance on all aspects of childcare and children's services in Wrexham.

Social Services

This section provides information, advice and online facilities about blue badge scheme, adoption, welfare rights and associated information about Wrexham County Borough Council Social Services.

Work-Life Balance

Work-Life Balance policies and best practices are not just about families and childcare. Nor is it about working less. It's about striking the right balance between what you can achieve at work and at home; and being fresh enough to give your best to all areas of your life. It's necessary for us all at whatever stage in our lives.

Useful Links


The leading support organisation for lone parent families in England and Wales.


Netmums is a family of local websites set up and run by mums (hence the name, but of course dads and anyone involved in caring for young children are welcome too!). Each local Netmums website covers local information on places to go, things to do, education, childcare, and community, social and employment issues.

GOV.UK Links

Apply for a Budgeting Loan - GOV.UK

You can apply for a Budgeting Loan if you or your partner are getting a low income benefit and need help buying things like furniture, clothes or certain expenses to do with living or working.

Apply for Income Support - GOV.UK

Income Support is a benefit for people under 60 on a low income and with limited savings. You can apply for the benefit online.

Calculate child maintenance - GOV.UK

Use the Child Support Agency calculator to work out how much child maintenance may be due.

Claim child benefit online - GOV.UK

You can make an online claim for child benefit, report a change of circumstances or send a message to the Child Benefit Agency using the Child Benefit e-service.

Wrexham County Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external websites

back to the top

Related links