Wrexham Council homepage


Applying for Building Regulations

What are the Building Regulations?

They are legal requirements laid down by Parliament, aimed at achieving adequate standards of building work for the construction of domestic, commercial and industrial buildings. They aim to secure the health and safety of people in or about buildings. They are also concerned with energy conservation and access and facilities for disabled people in public and commercial buildings.

Do I need Building Regulations?

If you want to:

then Building Regulations will probably apply. They may also apply to certain changes of use of an existing building, or if your work could have implications for an adjacent property. Please contact Building Control before commencing any building work, so that we may determine whether the Regulations apply.

How do I apply for Building Regulations?

If your building work is subject to Building Regulations, you complete the Application for Building Regulations Approval form.

There are two methods of applying:

What is the difference?

Full plans

For a Full Plans application, plans need to be produced showing all constructional details, preferably well before you begin building. The application will be thoroughly checked by us, and we may request amendments to the plans prior to approval being given. We may add conditions to an approval, with your written agreement.

Building Notice

With the Building Notice procedure, the building work will be inspected as it proceeds. You will be advised by the Building Control Surveyor if, at any stage, the work is found not to comply with the Regulations. However, if we require any further information about your proposal either before the commencement date or during building, you will be asked to supply us with the details requested. You must feel confident that the work will comply with the Regulations or you risk having to correct it at the request of the Council.

Please read the Building Regulation Guidance Notes - A Guide to Completing Your Application Form beforehand.

How much will it cost?

Please contact Building Control in order to agree the charge for your Building Regulation application. There is no difference in cost between a Full Plans application or a Building Notice application. However, a Full Plans application involves a two-stage payment, one at the time you submit your plans (Plan Charge) and the other following the first site inspection (Inspection Charge). For a Building Notice application, the full charge is payable upon giving of the Notice but amounts to the same charge as the Full Plans application (Plan Charge plus Inspection Charge).

Completion Certificates

You should request that your Building Control Surveyor carries out a Final Inspection prior to the contractor leaving the site and prior to you finalising payment for the project. Should all works be satisfactory you will receive a Completion Certificate which can be placed with your deeds for future reference.