About Building Control
The principle objective of the section is to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of people in and about buildings, securing access and facilities for disabled people and the conservation of fuel and power.
The main duties of the team are to determine a variety of building regulations applications which include new dwellings, domestic extensions, commercial extensions, change of use, commercial and industrial developments.
Other services include:
- Enquiry service to determine if building regulations approval is necessary
- Pre-application discussions to resolve any difficulties for potential applicants
- Consult and liaise with other departments to ensure speedy delivery of service
- LANTAC National Type Approval Scheme
- Advice given when dealing with contaminated land
- Consultations with Fire Officer when dealing with designated use buildings
- Removing or making safe buildings when considered a danger to public safety
- Control of demolition to ensure public safety
- Allocating street names and postal numbers
- Plotting of coalboard observations.
Building regulation approvals are required for:
- New buildings/dwellings
- Extensions to buildings/dwellings
- Alterations and refurbishment
- Structural alterations/underpinning
- Installation of a controlled service.