These notes are designed to clarify what is needed for an application for Listed Building Consent. Consent is required for works which go beyond repair and maintenance and which affect the character of the listed building as one of special architectural or historic interest. Such works could range from the addition of signage to demolition, or the provision of an extension. It should be noted that internal works may also need consent and appropriate detail of the proposal must be provided.
The following basic information will normally be required as part of the application:-
- statement to justify proposals and show why alterations or demolition is desirable or
- a structural report may be required where adaptation is involved or where works of
alteration are such that it needs to be demonstrated that the building can withstand the
- survey drawings, of existing situation comprising plans and elevations - supplemented with
cross-section(s) where appropriate e.g. where a timber-framed building is involved;
- fully annotated proposal drawings comprising plans and elevations - see checklist.
plans will usually need to be more detailed than planning application plans and show more of context buildings to indicate possible impact. They should clearly identify the proposed works.
There is no application fee for Listed Building Consent applications. A total of 6 sets of plans for consultation purposes will enable your application to be dealt with more speedily.
See Application Forms to download an application form and an ownership certificate.
Works on commercial property that may need consent:
- Signage (including lighting)
- Ground floor shop frontage alterations
- Internal alterations
- Method of opening
- Lintel detail
- Sill detail
- Method of glass fixing
- Position/depth in wall opening
- Decorative/protective finish
- Shutters (internal and external)
- Decorative ironwork
- For replacement or new windows. A section (at 1.5 scale) may be needed to show construction details and profile frame and glazing bars.
- Roof configuration
- Roof covering, including ridge
- Verge details
- Soffit and eaves details
- Roof lights
- Rain water goods (material and profile)
- Protective/decorative finish
- Detailing where roof meets wall (eaves)
- Surface treatment around building
- Boundary treatment - walls, fencing/railings
- Alterations to other buildings within grounds/curtilage
- Construction of walls and materials
- String courses
- Decorative brickwork
- Porch/ canopy
- Doors, style and material
- Fenestration (arrangement of windows)
- Decorative/protective finish
For more information or advice, please contact the Planning Department at the address below:
Chief Planning Officer,
Wrexham County Borough Council,
PO Box 1290, Lambpit St, Wrexham LL11 1WL.
Telephone: 01978 292019
Fax: 01978 292502
A copy of this leaflet is available to download in the following format:
Listed Building Consent - PDF format 70kb
To view and print PDF files, you must have Adobe® Acrobat® Reader installed: click the logo below to download the software.
Adobe Acrobat documents can be converted back to plain text using Accessible Adobe® Reader.
back to the top