Wrexham Council homepage

What Can I Do In a Conservation Area?

A Conservation Area is "an area of special historic and architectural interest".

Local Planning Authorities can designate Conservation Areas under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. In Wrexham County Borough there are 21 Conservation Areas. The character of each Conservation Area needs to be identified in order that proposals can be made to preserve or enhance it and change can be positively managed.

Character is sometimes difficult to identify but it usually derives from "sense and quality of place". This can include individual and groups of buildings, their scale and architectural features, spaces around buildings, gardens, boundary walls, views, landscape, trees, land form, the layout of roads, public space, archaeology, and even smells, sound and atmosphere.

What Can I do in a Conservation Area?

Conservation Area designation does not mean that you cannot change anything, but what you do must preserve or enhance the special character of the area. This is in addition to normal planning controls and you should seek the advice of a planning officer when making plans to alter or extend your property on 01978 292017.

You need planning permission if you intend to:

You need Conservation Area Consent if you intend to:

New Buildings

New development is acceptable in some instances, including the replacement of poor quality buildings, provided they are of high quality design and enhance the area.

You need Consent for Works to Trees Application if you intend to:

August 2003