Holt bridge spans the River Dee and crosses the
boundary between Wales and England, at Farndon. It is a medieval road
bridge of uncertain date. The bridge was built during the reign of Edward
111 in 1338-9. In 1368 a trail at the County Court at Chester refers to
a bridge between Farndon and Holt, constructed by John, Earl of Warenne.
However, the present structure is more likely to be 15th or 16th Century.
The bridge featured prominently in the Civil War with both sides trying
to take control of the crossing.
It is built of the local and distinctive red sandstone with 8 segmental
arches crossing the river, separated on both sides by pointed cutwaters
with refuges. An arch exists in the causeway on the Welsh side, which
was the site of a former chapel.
Listed Grade 1 for its medieval origins and one of Wales most important bridges. It is located in Holt Conservation Area.