Wrexham Council homepage


Housing Standards Team

The Housing Standards Team is responsible for regulating and licensing properties to improve standards throughout the private rented sector. We can give advice on the standards that your property needs to meet when you rent it out.

Fire Precautions

The Housing Act 2004 provides for local authorities to adopt a risk appropriate enforcement programme under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, (HHSRS) (external link), when dealing with the standards of fire safety in HMOs. However, it is the responsibility of the landlord to undertake necessary risk assessments and maintain any fire precautions in their property.

Because appropriate fire safety measures for any particular property will vary depending on its size, layout, management, and occupancy, various Fire Safety Guides to aid enforcing authorities have been produced, for example, The Sleeping Accommodation Guide (external link). For further advice please contact Housing Standards.

As part of a Joint Initiative between Wrexham County Borough Council and North Wales Fire and Rescue Service all landlords are encouraged to carry out a Fire Risk assessments of their properties. Please see the following template and guidance allowing you to do this. These documents were produced by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

Gas Safety

Every year about 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (external link) specifically deal with the installation, maintenance and use of gas appliances, fittings and flues in domestic and certain commercial premises. They place duties on certain landlords to ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants’ use are safe. This Regulation is enforced by the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) (external link).

Electrical safety

Landlords must ensure that the electrical system and any electrical appliances supplied with the letting such as cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters are safe to use. If new appliances are supplied the landlord is responsible for providing any accompanying instruction booklets.

Ensure all repair and installation work is carried out properly. Always use a contractor who is listed in the Competent Persons Register (external link).


If your accommodation is much too small for your household you may be considered to be living in overcrowded conditions under the law. Your home may be legally overcrowded if there are not enough rooms or space for the number of people who live there.

There are currently two applicable standards in force, the Statutory Overcrowding standard under the Housing Act 1985 and the Crowding and Space Hazard, assessed under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System HHSRS. If you would like further information on overcrowding contact Housing Standards.