Standards Committee Appointment of Independent Member
- Are you a good listener?
- Are you inquisitive?
- Can you weigh up conflicting evidence and reach an effective conclusion?
- Can you work as part of a team?
- Do you have respect for others and an understanding of and respect for strong ethical values?
- Do you have integrity and good character?
If the answer is yes to these you may be just the person we are looking for to become an independent Member of the County Borough's Standards Committee. It comprises 5 independent members, 3 County Borough Councillors and a Community Council representative. The Standards Committee is crucial in maintaining high ethical standards at County Borough and Community Council levels.
Briefly its aims are to advise, assist and guide Members in the adoption, monitoring, operation, enforcement and review of various local codes of conduct and other ethical guidance.
Unfortunately the following CANNOT in law be an independent member:-
- a serving Councillor or Officer (or the spouse or civil partner of a Councillor or Officer) of Wrexham County Borough Council, any other County or County Borough Council, a Fire Authority, a National Park Authority, or a Community/ Town Council.
- Former Councillors or Officers of Wrexham County Borough Council.
- Former Councillors or Officers of any other County or County Borough Council, Fire Authority or National Park Authority until at least one year after ceasing to be a Councillor/Officer of that Authority.
The Council has agreed that independent Members should not:
- be active in local or national politics
- have had significant previous dealings with the Council which compromise their impartiality; nor
- have a close relationship with any Member or Officer of the Council
Independent members are appointed for a period of between 4 and 6 years and may be appointed for one further consecutive term. The Standards Committee usually meets at least four times per year although independent members will need to have flexibility as to availability since the Committee sometimes has to be called for unscheduled meetings at a few days notice.
The person appointed will be entitled to claim travel expenses as a result of attendance at meetings.
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Sioned Wyn Davies, Monitoring Officer on 01978 292202 or Linda Roberts, Deputy Monitoring Officer on 01978 292221.
Closing date: 12 July 2019