Wrexham Council homepage



For imminent flooding and emergency situations please call Emergency Services 999.

If you're concerned about flooding in your area from main rivers, call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

Flooding from non-main rivers, stream and ditches, call Wrexham CBC on 01978 298989

Report Flooding

Flooding on the highway and flooding on your property

To report flooding on public roads, blocked gullies, gratings, highway drains or roadside ditches, or if your property is in danger of flooding during an intense or prolonged period of rainfall please use the Pride in Your Streets helpline on 01978 298989.

For any other flooding first determine the source of the water.

Does the water contain sewage?  If yes

Call Dŵr Cymru/Welsh Water – Sewage Service and Emergencies on 0800 085 3968

Does the water come from a mains leak? If yes call

  • Dŵr Cymru / Welsh Water – Water Services and Emergencies on 0800 052 0130; or
  • Severn Trent Emergencies on 08457 500 500

(depending on who supplies your water)

Is the source of the water from a main river? If yes

Call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

During a flood, the Council's 24 hour line is available to take calls from concerned residents. We can provide advice and distribute sandbags to try and help reduce the risk of your home flooding.

However, during severe floods, resources can obviously be limited and it may not be possible to respond to all requests in all areas. We'll always do our best, but we'll give priority on the basis of need - for example, vulnerable people or large communities that are in severe danger.

Preparing yourself for a flood is the best way to protect yourself and your property from serious damage and injury. Download our Flooding Advice and Guidance booklet for information on how to prepare for flooding.

Protecting your home from flooding

Preparing for a flood

During a flood you may be without electricity, lighting, heating or a telephone line. Taking these actions will help you to be prepared.  The time to think about it is now - don't wait until a flood happens.

  • Find out if you live in a flood risk area, by checking the Natural Resources Wales website.
  • If your home is in a flood risk area, you can sign up to receive automated flood warnings.
  • Make sure you have adequate insurance.  Flood damage is included in most building insurance policies, but do check your home and contents insurance.
  • If you live in a flood risk area, consider buying some sandbags or flood boards to block doorways and airbricks.  As a council, we only provide sandbags to individual households in emergency situations.
  • Prepare a personal flood plan that contains important information you would need to know if your home was flooded, such as insurance policy numbers, and contact details for people you may need to get in touch with in an emergency.  Keep your flood plan somewhere safe and easy to reach in a waterproof folder.
  • Prepare a flood kit of essential items you would need during a flood, or in case of evacuation, including warm waterproof clothing and any medication you would need.

When a flood happens

Don't try to walk or drive through flood water.  Six inches of fast flowing water can knock you off your feet, and two feet of water will float your car.  There are a number of practical things you can do to help prevent damage to your home, including:

  • Turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies.
  • Put plugs in sinks and weigh them down with heavy objects; plug water inlet pipes with towels or cloths, and disconnect any equipment that uses water, such as your washing machine.  These steps will help to stop water from coming in to the property.
  • Try to avoid contact with flood water if possible, because it may be contaminated.
  • Do not leave your home or enter flood water unless you are directly instructed to do so by the emergency services.

After a flood

Do not go back into your home until the police or emergency services tell you it is safe to do so.

Contact your insurance company as soon as possible - many of them have 24 hour emergency helplines.  Find out how long it will take for them to see you, and check whether they have a company that will clean your house, or whether you will have to do this yourself.

Flood Risk Management Authority Contact Details
Wrexham CBC Contact Centre (Lead Local Flood Authority Include Highways Authority for local roads) 01978 292000
Pride in Your Streets helpline 01978 298989
Natural Resources Wales Incident Helpline (24 hours, free phone) 03000 65 3000
Dŵr Cymru/Welsh Water – Sewage Service and Emergencies 0800 085 3968
Severn Trent Emergencies 08457 500 500

Please note this list is not exhaustive and the local authority is not responsible for external contact numbers.

For further advice on Emergency situations please follow the links below

Useful Documents from the Environment Agency

Other information regarding Flood Risk Management

Flood Risk Management Policies


A culvert is a covered channel or pipeline which is used to continue a watercourse under an artificial obstruction.  Wrexham CBC is generally opposed to the culverting of watercourses because of the detrimental effects that are likely to arise.  The following document provides an explanation of Wrexham CBCs policy regarding culverts.  It is intended for use by WCBC, Landowners and developers.

Living Next to a Watercourse

If you own land or property next to a river, stream or ditch you are a ‘riperian landowner’ and the guide below is for you. Living Next to a Watercourse.

Upcoming changes to surface water drainage requirements

Please note that from January 2019 sustainable drainage requirements within the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 are due to come into effect. Any construction works greater than a single property will require consent from the SuDS Approval Board (SAB) in addition to Planning Approval. SAB approval will be dependent on meeting the requirements of the National SuDS Standards. We note the findings of Welsh Government research in introducing these requirements that compliant drainage is expected to reduce construction costs by over £9000 per property on average as well as providing additional benefits.

In order to gain SAB approval and fully realise the benefits, drainage proposals need to be addressed at the outset of development planning and in coordination with other appropriate disciplines such as water conservation, landscaping and biodiversity.

Wrexham County Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external websites