Find out how applications for council housing are processed once they have been submitted.
Registering your application
You’ll be notified by letter once your application has been registered. The letter will give details of your:
- Application reference number
- First choice area for rehousing
- Date of application
- Priority Banding
We’ll also contact you in writing if there are any changes to the application after it has been registered.
Making you an offer
Offers of accommodation are usually made to the applicant in the highest band, who’s been waiting the longest for the type of property that becomes empty (provided it’s in the requested area and they have a connection (living, working or having close family ties) within the community and/or Wrexham County Borough).
Accepting the offer
Refusing the offer
If you decide to refuse the offer, you must write to us tell us the exact reasons why (this can be done in a letter or by emailing).
Only two offers of accommodation will be made. If both are refused, and we think your reasons for refusing are unreasonable, we’ll reduce your preference for housing. After that it could be a considerable length of time before you receive another offer.
If you’re an applicant in band one, or are made an offer under homelessness legislation, you’ll receive only one offer of accommodation.
You have the right to ask for a review of any decision regarding the reasonableness of an offer.
You have the right to...
- Be notified and request a review of any decision about eligibility to join the Housing Register, and the grounds for making that decision.
- Be informed on request and request a review, of any facts we’ve has used to make our decision.
- Receive information about how your application will be processed and what priority your application has been given.
- Receive information on the likely availability of appropriate accommodation
You can request a review of any decision we made when processing your application, including...
- The decision to reduce preference
- The banding awarded to an application
- The decision to exclude an application
Any request for a review must be made within 28 calendar days of you being notified of the original decision.
Reviews are carried out by an officer who wasn’t involved in the original decision making process.
Review requests should be sent to ‘The Head of Housing and Economy, Housing Services, Ruthin Road, Wrexham LL13 7TU’.
You’ll be notified of the outcome within 20 working days of us receiving your request.
If you disagree with the outcome of any review, the way this policy has been followed, or the way we’ve interpreted housing law, you can make a further appeal.
Any request for an appeal must be made within 28 calendar days of you being notified of the original decision.
Appeal requests should be sent in writing to ‘The Head of Housing and Economy, Housing Services, Ruthin Road, Wrexham LL13 7TU’.
You’ll be notified of the outcome within 14 calendar days of us receiving your request.