The various stages and processes attached to an election are set in legislation.
The timetable below sets out the various stages that are followed in the run up to an election. It includes what you are expected to do to complete your various tasks as a candidate and what you can expect from us in administering the election.
This page also contains the specific dates for these processes for the 2022 elections.
Notice of election
The notice of election formally starts the election process.
Nomination papers can be delivered following the publication of this notice.
Delivery of nomination papers
Nominations to stand for election can be submitted.
Close / withdrawal of nomination
Nominations for election cannot be submitted, withdrawn or amended after this date.
Deadline to appoint election agents
If standing for the county borough council and appointing an election agent, this is the deadline to appoint someone to that role or you will become your own election agent by default.
Statement of persons nominated
This notice will display all the names of people standing for election.
Deadline for electors to register to vote
This is the last day electors can register on the electoral roll in order to be registered in time for the election and able to vote.
Deadline for electors to request, cancel or change a postal vote
Voters who cannot attend a polling station to vote must request a postal vote no later than this deadline (our ‘how to vote’ page explains how this can be done).
Deadline for electors to request a proxy vote
Voters who cannot attend a polling station or vote by post can appoint someone else to vote on their behalf no later than this deadline (our ‘how to vote’ page explains how this can be done).
Deadline to appoint counting and polling agents
Candidates are entitled to appoint agents to observe certain elements of the voting process for transparency. This is the deadline for giving notice to the Returning Officer your appointments for the election.
This is the day voters will attend polling stations to vote in the elections. Polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm.
Counting of the votes
The timing of the count depends on each individual election but is usually immediately following the close of poll and through the night of the election, or will begin the following day.
Deadline to submit election expenses (county borough council)
Each candidates standing for election is required to submit a set of election expense forms confirming that they did not exceed the spending limit as part of their campaign.
Election process dates for the 2022 elections
- Notice of election: March 18, 2022.
- Delivery of nomination papers: from March 21, 2022 until 4pm on April 5, 2022.
- Close / withdrawal of nomination: by 4pm on April 5, 2022.
- Deadline to appoint election agents: by 4pm on April 5, 2022.
- Statement of persons nominated: by 4pm on April 6, 2022.
- Deadline for electors to register to vote: April 14, 2022.
- Deadline for electors to request, cancel or change a postal vote: by 5pm on April 19, 2022.
- Deadline for electors to request a proxy vote: by 5pm on April 26, 2022.
- Deadline to appoint counting and polling agents: April 27, 2022.
- Polling day: May 5, 2022.
- Vote count: May 6, 2022 (the timing of the count is still to be confirmed but will either be immediately following the close of poll and through the night on May 5, 2022 or will begin the following day on May 6).
- Deadline to submit election expenses (county borough council): June 10, 2022.