This new grant has been set up, with the immediate priority of providing financial assistance to businesses within Wrexham town centre. The grant aims to help businesses to operate within the public realm whilst complying with ongoing social distancing requirements. This is necessary in order to both encourage people to return to the high street as lockdown is easing and to ensure there is a general sense of wellbeing, safety and confidence in these areas. The grant is also available to community councils.
This is a capital fund, so revenue expenditure will be considered ineligible. The maximum grant that is available per application is £2,000 with a maximum grant intervention rate of 80%. Collaborative bids will be welcomed.
What can the grant be spent on?
According to the Welsh Government criteria, eligible spend includes:
- Outdoor awnings, canopies, igloo bubbles, outdoor heating, marquee coverings
- Outdoor tables, chairs and seating provision
- Outdoor screening, bollards, planters
- Outdoor servery facilities
- The establishment of parklets (using parking spaces and the provision of decking on which to construct timber structures so providing small covered areas offering some weather protection)
- Small Green Infrastructure schemes especially where there is seating provision
- The establishment and adoption and temporary use of vacant trading spaces to facilitate overspill, pop ups and entrepreneurship action
- Electricity supply and lighting to outdoor trading space
- The establishments of outdoor market provision to include electricity provision
- Social distancing measures
It may not be possible for all listed items to be supported within this local grant scheme. An officer will be in touch to discuss further details following submission of the application.
If you are a business owner operating in Wrexham town centre you can use the online form to apply for this grant.