When you start a new food business or take over an existing food business, you must register with us (Wrexham Council, as your local authority). You must tell us about any premises that you use for storing, handling, selling, distributing, preparing or cooking food.

If you are planning to start a new business you must register at least 28 days before the business is due to start trading.

What types of food premises/businesses need to be registered?

All types of food businesses that serve customers directly should be registered, including:

  • pubs (even if you only serve alcohol and soft drinks) 
  • restaurants 
  • hotels 
  • cafes 
  • retail shops
  • supermarkets
  • staff canteens
  • kitchens in offices
  • warehouses
  • guest houses/bed & breakfasts
  • mobile catering vehicles (for example hot dog and ice-cream vans)

Companies involved with food distribution or food supply that operate from an office should also register as food businesses. This applies even if no food is kept at the premises.

Mobile vehicle registration

Mobile vehicles must be registered at the address where the vehicle is stored overnight. If you have more than one vehicle stored at the same address you only need to register once, but you need to tell us how many vehicles are kept at that address.

How to register

You can register your business online.

There is no charge for food registration and registration cannot be refused.

After submitting the registration form

Once you have completed and returned your form, your details will be entered onto our database. As a local authority we have to keep a record of all food premises that are registered with us.

Your registration form will be acknowledged and a member of our Food Safety Team will visit your premises to carry out a food hygiene inspection.

You must notify us if there are any changes to your food business, such as a new business operator or if you stop trading.

Contact our Food Safety Team

You can contact our Food Safety Team for more information about food premises registration by emailing foodandfarming@wrexham.gov.uk.

Related links