Gas safety responsibilities

Your landlord must make sure that the gas supply and appliances provided in your property are:

  • in a safe condition
  • fitted or repaired by a Gas Safe registered engineer

Gas safety checks 

Your landlord is responsible for making sure gas appliances that are provided in the property are checked and serviced at least once a year. Examples of the most common gas appliances are: gas boilers, cookers/hobs, fires or wall heaters.

These checks must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and you should be given a copy of the gas safety record/certificate (which provides details of the safety check). Your landlord should provide the record within 28 days of the safety check being done.

If any of the gas appliances in your property belong to you it will be your responsibility to get a registered gas engineer to check these each year as well.

Avoiding danger with gas appliances

To make sure you are using any gas appliances safely you should...

  • Always keep appliances uncovered and keep air vents, fixed ventilation grilles, airbricks or outside flues unblocked/uncovered.
  • Only use the appliance for its intended purpose (for example don’t use a gas oven to heat a room).
  • Never use a gas appliance if you think it may be faulty.

If you think a gas appliance is faulty report it to your landlord immediately, or get the appliance checked by a registered engineer if you own the appliance. 

If you think an appliance is leaking gas this is more urgent – there is guidance on this page about what to do if you suspect a gas leak.

Carbon monoxide alarms

Currently private landlords are only required to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in rooms where there is a coal or wood fire provided.

Your landlord may still install carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with gas appliances, however if they don’t then you should consider buying and fitting one yourself.

Gas danger signs

A gas appliance may be unsafe if you notice...

  • a yellow or orange flame instead of blue
  • a pilot light which keeps blowing out
  • any part of the appliance that has turned black or brown, or shows signs of scorching
  • signs of soot, a sooty or musty smell
  • increased condensation on windows

Any gas appliances (such as fires, heaters, central heating boilers, water heaters or cookers) that are unsafe can leak carbon monoxide.

Gas emergencies

What should I do if I suspect a gas leak?

If you suspect a gas leak you should turn off the appliance and the gas supply at the meter if possible, and call the National Gas emergency number immediately (this is free to call and is available 24 hours a day).

Only use a mobile phone to call once you’re outside your property (or ask to use the landline in another property).

The National Gas emergency number is 0800 111 999. If you’re deaf or hard of hearing you can contact 0800 371 787 on a minicom or text phone.

If you think there’s a gas leak...

  • never switch anything electrical in your property off or on - it could spark and cause an explosion (don’t use light switches and appliances such as mobile phones, landlines, intercoms or door entry systems, and doorbells)
  • put out fires, naked flames and cigarettes as they could also cause an explosion
  • open windows and doors to allow gas to escape, and let fresh air in
  • leave the property as soon as possible and wait outside for the gas engineer to arrive

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak you should follow these instructions, but you might also need to get medical attention.

Once a National Gas engineer arrives they will try to trace the leak and carry out immediate repairs if they can be done easily. If more extensive work is needed then they’ll just cap the incoming supply.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide can be produced by gas appliances that are badly installed, not maintained properly or don’t have enough ventilation.

You can’t taste or smell carbon monoxide, but it can be lethal. Even small quantities can lead to a variety of serious health problems, including brain damage.

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak you should follow the instructions for a gas leak, but you might also need to get medical attention.