If you’re unhappy with our decision you have one calendar month to contact us and either:

  • Ask us to explain our decision (Statement of Reasons);
  • Request a review of the decision (Reconsideration);
  • Ask for an appeal to an independent tribunal

Asking for a Statement of Reasons

If you need more information about the decision, you’ll need to write to us within one calendar month of being notified.

If you’re unhappy with the decision, you can choose to have it reconsidered, or referred straight to an independent tribunal.

Asking for a Reconsideration

If you disagree with our decision, you can ask us to reconsider.

When we receive your request a different member of staff will check to see if the original decision was correct. 

If it was wrong, we’ll correct it and send you new decision letters, with new appeal rights.

If we’re unable to change our decision, we’ll explain why, and give you a further month to appeal to the Tribunal Service.

Appealing a decision

If you think a decision we’ve made is incorrect, you can appeal to an independent Tribunal Service.

The Appeals Tribunal will then review the decision against the evidence provided and in line with the law.

How do I appeal?

If you want to appeal a decision, you’ll need to contact us.

We’ll review our decision before we decide whether to send your appeal to the Tribunal Service. 

If we’re unable to change our decision we’ll submit your appeal.

Late appeals

If your appeal is late, the Tribunal Service might not be able to accept it unless there are special circumstances. 

If you do appeal late, you’ll need to explain why. 

A tribunal member will then decide whether to hear your appeal.

No appeals will be heard if the delay exceeds 13 months.