The aim of a personal licence is to make sure that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol does so in a professional fashion. 

All premises that sell alcohol must have an identified person licence holder. This is known as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). 

You don't need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary event notice (TEN) but if you do hold a personal licence the number of TENs you can serve in a year will increase from 5 to 50.


To be eligible for a personal licence you must:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • hold a relevant licensing qualification (for example, the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders or a similar accredited qualification)
  • provide a basic criminal conviction disclosure form (any relevant criminal convictions may affect whether or not you’re found to be suitable as a licensee)

Apply for a personal licence

You will need to submit an application form, supporting documents and pay a fee.

Supporting documents

  • a basic DBS disclosure form issued no earlier than one calendar month before you submit this application (the checklist on the application form lists other acceptable documents)
  • relevant licensing qualification
  • proof of right to work in the United Kingdom
  • two photographs (see checklist on application form)

The application form includes notes with further information on the above.

Submitting the form/supporting documents yourself

You will need to show your original supporting documents in person at Contact Wrexham unless you can provide verified copies (check the opening times and address under the ‘visit us’ section on our contact page).

Please email to make an appointment to hand in your application and we can scan copies of your documents for you. 

Submitting the form/supporting documents via a solicitor or licensing firm

If your supporting documents have been scanned and verified as a true copy of the original they can be submitted along with the application form:

  • By emailing to  
  • By posting to: Wrexham County Borough Council, Planning & Regulatory, Licensing Section, Guildhall, Wrexham LL11 1AY.

You may wish to send your documents by recorded delivery.

A solicitor may also submit the form and photocopied supporting documents on your behalf in person at Contact Wrexham (check the opening times and address under the ‘visit us’ section on our contact page).



You can pay via our e-store, or in person when you hand your application in.

Your application will not be considered fully received until you have submitted your supporting documents and paid the fee.

More personal licence forms 

If you need to submit one of the following forms in future you can email to request a copy of the relevant form:

  • Notification of change of name and address 
  • Request a copy of your personal licence