Licence summary    

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

All applications should be made to Wrexham Council.

Fees will be payable for a licence.

Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Eligibility criteria    

No provision in legislation.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. 

You should contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period.

Target completion period

56 calendar days.



  • Not exceeding 2,500 litres: £46 per year
  • Exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres: £62 per year
  • Exceeding 50,000 litres: £131 per year
  • Transfer of licence: £8


Public Protection Services, Guildhall, Wrexham LL11 1AY


Appeal a failed application

Contact us in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Licence holder appeal

Contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service (external link) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (external link)