The Mayor’s Chain

The chain was purchased from NS Scotcher of Birmingham in 1872, cost £193 and was worn for the first time at the Mayor’s Banquet in 1873.

It has 24 hollow links of 18ct gold with the name and year of office of a Mayor of Wrexham engraved on each.

The heart-shaped, 18ct gold pendant has an enamel shield with the arms of the Borough of Wrexham and the motto ‘Fear God, Honour the King’.


The Mayoress' Chain

Purchased in 1902, this was manufactured by Wrexham jeweller AW Butt. The 15ct gold chain is 24 inches in length, composed of enamelled Tudor roses and Prince of Wales plumes on enamelled shields with lions and crosiers.

The centre link has the Royal Cypher ‘ER VIII’ and a miniature portrait of Queen Alexandra in a circle of diamonds. Above the shield the borough crest reads ‘Fear God, honour the King’.


Deputy Mayor's Chain

Originally the chain of office of the Chairman of WRDC (Wrexham Rural District Council) and manufactured c.1950, it is a silver gilt collarette made up of 31 rectangular step-effect plaques engraved with the names and dates of the Chairmen of the WRDC.


Deputy Mayoress' Pendant

A modern, hallmarked silver gilt pendant bearing the arms of WMBC. This was manufactured in 1983 by Thomas Fattorini of Birmingham as a replacement for an earlier pendant that was lost.

The original was presented to WMBC by the Wrexham branch of NALGO (National and Local Government Officers' Association) in 1976.


The Mace

In 1866, a large silver mace was presented to Wrexham Borough Council by the then Mayor Joseph Clark. This was seen as a symbol of the council’s authority and measures 5 feet 8 inches.

It has an ebony staff with a silver top that is engraved with leaves, leeks, goat masks, the Arms of the Borough of Wrexham and a Welsh harp. It has a dragon holding a shield on top. The decorations in the middle and at the foot of the staff also feature leeks and goat masks.

Since 1866, the mace has been carried in front of the Mayor at all civic occasions.