In Wales, as with the rest of the UK, education is compulsory but school is not.
As Wrexham’s local education authority we recognise every child’s right to access an education and fully acknowledge that Elective Home Education (EHE) is one option available to parents.
In Wrexham, we have a vibrant and supportive Elective Home Education network. We are proud to work alongside our families as they take responsibility for the learning of their child/ren.
If you choose home education without any school enrolment
We ask that you notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we are aware and can provide local support, in the following circumstances:
- If you decide that you want to provide a home education and they have never been enrolled at a school before
- If you already provide a home education and you move to the area
If your child is enrolled at a school and you want to provide home education
If you are thinking about removing your child from school to home educate, we would always encourage you to speak to your child’s school in the first instance (you can find contact details via our schools list). You can also contact the EHE team in Wrexham if you have any questions.
If, after full consideration, you do decide to start providing a home education you must notify the school in writing.
Please do consider the following before you do deregister your child:
- As the parent/guardian you are responsible for providing your child with a full-time and suitable education.
- There can be a number of costs involved in home education that the parent has to fund (including resources, equipment and exam fees)
- If you remove your child from a school, a place may not be available if you later wish for them to return to the school they left.
- Elective home education is not home tuition - the local authority do not provide a tutor for your children.
It is our duty (under section 436A of the Education Act 1996) to identify children in our area who are of compulsory school age and not receiving a suitable education. We do this taking into account the Welsh Government statutory guidance for local authorities on home education (external link).