Bellevue is a popular traditional park within easy walking distance of the town centre. Visitors can see a splendid formal landscape in the Edwardian style. There are shaded avenues of mature lime trees that extend from the bandstand area, along with areas of newer tree planting and ornamental shrub beds.

A network of well-surfaced pathways provides access to all corners of the park, with period lamps illuminating the park in the evening. From a small hill next to the park’s basketball court you can see views over Wrexham, the Parish Church and the surrounding hills. There is also a sensory garden near the park entrance, overlooked by a statue of Queen Victoria.

Bellevue Park was first given Green Flag Award accreditation in 2005 and has held it each year since then. 

The flying of drones is not permitted in Wrexham parks.

Car parking

Car parking is very limited but there are disabled car parking spaces outside the community centre (inside the park, Bellevue Road side).


Dogs are welcome at Bellevue Park but must be kept under control at all times and on a lead within the designated signposted areas.

Please remember that failure to pick up dog waste is a serious offence with fines in operation.

Friends of Bellevue Park

The Friends of Bellevue is a voluntary community group, set up in 2001. The group meets monthly along with staff to discuss any developments or future plans and acts as a means of communicating with park users and the local community.

The group organises various events throughout the year and fundraises to help improve Bellevue. If you would like to join the Friends group please call 01978 262035 for more information.

Children's play areas

The park has play provision for toddlers and juniors alike. The areas are fenced to prevent access by dogs and a rubber 'safer surface' is provided beneath the play equipment.

Football pitch

There is a full sized football pitch open for use by everyone except during match days when local club matches take place.

Basketball and tennis courts

A permanent basketball court is marked out on a bitumen macadam surface. 

There are three permanent bitumen macadam tennis courts in the park with provision for a further two courts during busy periods.

There is no charge for use of the courts.

Bowling green

There are two bowling greens, which are often used as a venue for inter-county matches. Whilst the park is the home of the Parciau Bowling Club, the public are welcome to play.

A landscaped rockery containing authentic Edwardian period plants leads up to the bowling greens.


The bandstand, an original Edwardian feature, sits in a landscaped amphitheatre and is used for concerts and bands throughout the summer.

The music programme provided at the park is designed to cater for all tastes.

Park history

In 1907 the site known as Bellevue, was purchased by the Borough Council for £4346 1s 7d (‘s’ standing for shillings and ‘d’ for pennies). In 1908 the council named the park 'The Parciau' and a competition was held in 1909 for the best design. Development began in 1910 with the entrance gates, park railings and Lodge being provided by public subscriptions.

The first tenant of the Lodge became the park’s Superintendent on 17th February 1914. Two bowling greens were constructed, one to be a “crown” green and the other a “flat” green and were opened to the public on May 30, 1914. The construction of the bandstand also dates to 1914 and was opened on the afternoon of August 19 by the mayor. It was often used for Sunday brass band concerts.

In 1916 a cannon dating from the Crimean War bearing the inscription: “Captured Sevastopol 1855”, was relocated from Guildhall Square to the park.

The residents of Wrexham made an enormous contribution to the war effort between 1914 and 1918 in raising £6 million in War Loans. In recognition of this a "Landship" tank Mark 1 was given to the Local War Savings Committee and this was proudly displayed in the park. 

The tank was sold for scrap in 1928 to make way for a statue of Queen Victoria which was moved from the Guildhall Square in 1928 to its present location. The statue was donated by the sculptor Henry Price in 1905 to mark the coronation of King Edward VII.

The Second World War was a bleak period for the park. Between 1940 and 1942 the council sold off non-essential iron for scrap, including the Crimean War cannon and park boundary railings to help the war effort. The Parciau played its part in the “Dig for Victory” campaign between 1941 and 1944 when the land was used to grow vegetables. The eastern part of the park was ploughed up and used to grow potatoes, planted by children from local schools.

By the late 1960s disuse and disrepair lead to calls for demolition of the bandstand. However, a restoration project in 1973 saved this important feature. The pavilion was also converted in the 1970s to provide a community centre.

The park was extensively revitalised and refurbished in 1999 to its original Edwardian splendour. This was made possible with help from the Heritage Lottery, Urban Parks Project, Welsh Development Agency and European Regional Development Fund. A grand opening to mark the occasion was held in June 2000.

Contact us

Email: (Monday to Friday)

Tel: 01978 822780 (weekends).