The Welsh Government funded Pupil Development Grant is available to help towards the costs of a child’s school uniform and equipment, for those on a low income.
The grant deadline for 2020/21 has been extended to include the additional year groups 1, 5, 8, 9 and 11 for the 2020/21 term only. This is in addition to the usual year groups 3, 7, 10, reception and looked after children. In a change to the previous process, anyone who is eligible for free school meals in the additional year groups will qualify for the funding.
This is an extension to the previous closing date of December 31, 2020. If you already applied for this grant between July 2020 and December 2020, please do not apply again, the date for new applications will be July 15, 2021.
Depending on the school year your child will be entering in September 2020 you could receive a grant of £125 or £200.
What can the grant be used for?
The grant can be used to pay towards the cost of...
- school uniform
- school sports kit
- uniform for wider activities (e.g. sports, scouts and guides)
- equipment (e.g. school bags and stationery)
- specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin (e.g. design and technology)
- equipment for out of school hours trips (e.g. waterproofs for outdoor learning)
- laptop or tablet device
Who is eligible for the grant?
Anyone eligible for free school meals and in the following year groups will qualify for the grant:
- Entering reception class in primary school
- Entering school years 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- In a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit and are aged 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15.
For any looked after children of compulsory school age who are not receiving free school meals, please email email@example.com for an application form.
How much does the grant provide?
£200 is provided for children entering year 7 and £125 is provided to every other year group and looked after children.
When and how can I apply for the grant?
There is no longer an online application for this grant. If the student is eligible for free school meals and in one of the eligible year groups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
How will I receive the grant?
The grant is paid by BACS Transfer to your bank account.