If you suspect a vehicle has been abandoned, please check to see if it has road tax and MOT: 

If it has road tax, a valid MOT, there are no parking restrictions where it is parked on the road and it has been there less than 14 days, we won't be able to treat it as an abandoned vehicle.

What is an abandoned vehicle?

An abandoned vehicle:

  • has no registered keeper on DVLA's database and is untaxed
  • doesn’t have a valid MOT
  • has been stationary for a significant amount of time 
  • is burnt out and owner is not known locally
  • is significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy, (for example, has flat tyres, missing wheels or broken windows)
  • the number plates are missing

The list is for guidance and a vehicle does not need to fit all of the criteria for it to be considered abandoned.

Report an abandoned vehicle

Start now

What happens after you report an abandoned vehicle to us

We will:

  • try to contact the owner
  • leave a notice on the vehicle warning it'll be removed if no one claims it 
  • remove it after this time - we will take it to the compound or destroy it

Disposal of an abandoned vehicle

We can dispose of an abandoned vehicle immediately if either of the following applies:

  • it’s only fit to be destroyed
  • it has no number plates or tax disc 

In all other cases, we must try to find the vehicle owner if we can.

If we find the owner, we must give the owner at least 7 days’ written notice to collect the vehicle before disposing of it. We must return a vehicle to its owner if the owner claims it and pays any costs of removal, storage and disposal.

If the owner cannot be found, or fails to comply with a notice to collect the vehicle, we may dispose of the vehicle.

We can dispose of an abandoned vehicle as we see fit. For example, we can sell it at auction or have it destroyed at an authorised treatment facility.

Penalty or prosecution

We can penalise people who abandon vehicles or parts of vehicles on roads or land in the open air by either:

  • issuing a fixed penalty notice of £200
  • prosecuting them

Reclaiming costs

Report related issues

A vehicle with no MOT being used on a public road 

If you have checked that a vehicle’s MOT is not valid and it is being used on a public road you can report this to your local police force. In Wrexham this is North Wales Police (external link).

A vehicle blocking a public road or footpath

Call the police non-emergency number on 101 and report it as dangerous and obstructive parking.

A vehicle that is on fire or being vandalised

Call the police on 999.