Apply for transport
How can I apply?
You can apply online - this is the quickest and easiest way to apply. You’ll get an email immediately letting you know your application has been received. You will then be informed of the outcome of the transport assessment of your child’s application by email.
Free school transport
Free transport may be provided for your child, if the eligibility criteria is met.
To be eligible your child’s school must be...
- The nearest to your child’s home address and if so,
- At least three miles from the home address for secondary schools, or two miles for primary schools
An exception can be made if your child will be attending a Welsh medium or faith school, and the chosen school isn’t the nearest to their home address. In both cases free transport is only available if your child lives over the minimum distance from the school.
Only children of reception age and above can receive free school transport.
Post-16 students should contact their sixth form or college to find out about available private transport options, as we don’t provide transport for post-16s.
School transport charged seats
If your child doesn’t qualify for free transport then we may be able provide an allocated seat (that you pay for) on school transport that has spare capacity.
- The price is currently £100 a term per child (this cost is reviewed every year). This works out at £1.58 per day for the year. Your child can’t travel without a valid pass being issued by us.
- The seat given on a specific bus might not be the nearest to your home address, but on a bus within a reasonable distance.
- Charged seats aren’t issued until all children who qualify for free transport have been allocated a seat (which can be up to the end of September in the current school year). In the meantime you may need to make alternative arrangements for your child’s transport.
- You’ll need to complete a school transport application form - stating that it’s for a charged seat. You’ll be placed on a reserve list which is first come first serve, and you’ll need to reapply for a charged seat each year.
- The seat may be withdrawn at any time, giving reasonable notice - when seats become unavailable due to qualifying pupil demand for free transport, or where there’s a reduction in vehicle capacity. If this happens and you’ve already paid the full cost for the year, we’ll refund any remaining balance back to you.
Under the Transport Act 1995 [concessionary] charged fares can’t be made available where public service transport runs along a school route at convenient times for the start and finish of the school day.
If you wish to register an interest for a concessionary seat please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the pupil name, address, DOB and school by Friday, June 9, 2023 at the latest.