We produce a Strategic Equality Plan (SEP) every four years (which we must do under The Equality Act 2010).
Our latest plan explains our current equality objectives, which are:
- Close attainment gaps in education (with a specific focus on achievement of boys, accessibility of school buildings and supporting Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children to achieve their potential)
- Engage with those seeking and providing employment in the county borough to help increase the number of disabled people accessing employment opportunities and raise awareness of the pay gaps for this group
- Improving the accessibility of the council
- Involving all and ensuring that we use information about those who use our services, including those with protected characteristics, to make good decisions
- Promote and celebrate the ethnic diversity of our communities ensuring they are inclusive and welcoming
- Supporting diversity in local democracy
- Improving diversity and addressing any pay gaps in the council’s workforce
Our plan explains how we developed these objectives (including who helped us to develop them).
The objectives are included as part of our Council Plan 2020-23. You can check our progress against these objectives as part of our Council Plan performance reports, which you can find on our Council Plan page.