All businesses have the opportunity to win work with the public sector.
If your business is relatively small in size, this doesn’t mean you won’t be able to compete with larger businesses to win a contract to deliver goods or services.
The public sector in the UK includes local councils, the health service, emergency services and organisations providing further and higher education for example.
Understandably, the public sector therefore has a significant budget, with organisations spending £200 billion overall buying goods and services from suppliers in recent years.
The main benefits of supplying to a public sector organisation include the reassurance that your payment will be received on time, due to the requirement to pay accounts within 30 days of receiving an invoice (or any other agreed period within the contract).
Public sector organisations are also good customers, in that they work to guidelines to ensure they are fair, open and honest with suppliers.
If you would like to win work with the public sector in Wales you will be able to identify contract opportunities over the value of £25,000 on Sell2Wales. Via this portal you will also be able to register to receive tender opportunities of interest as they become available.
In addition to the Sell2Wales contracts portal, there are a number of other procurement portals via which details of public sector tender opportunities and contracts can be found, with these including:
- The Digital Marketplace helps public sector organisations find technology or people for digital projects in the public sector.
- Constructionline is a national online portal of suppliers to the construction industry.
- NHS Supply Chain lists opportunities to supply healthcare products, services and food for NHS trusts and healthcare organisations across England and Wales.
Information about tendering for NHS contracts in Scotland and Northern Ireland is provided by separately:
- The Legal Aid Agency lists tender opportunities for legal aid contracts in crime, civil legal advice and telephone advice.
- Further Education Colleges e-tendering website (in-tend)
- Bluelight eTendering lists contracts and tender opportunities for the police and fire and rescue services.
There are a number of independent commercial services that collate public sector contract opportunities. Examples include the following: