If you’re thinking of starting your own business in Wrexham you can access free, impartial and confidential business support from our Business and Investment Team.
We understand that starting your own business can be an exciting but daunting process. Our experienced team of business support officers can offer you guidance and signpost you to further support if needed.
Our investment guide also highlights why Wrexham could be the ideal location for your business.
Submit an enquiry
Ask for information to help you start your business, or arrange an appointment.
How we can help you start a business
As a brief overview, our support and resources will help you to:
- Reduce your business start-up time
- Put together business and marketing plans which could be used to secure funding
- Research your market thoroughly, identifying key market trends, future forecasts and consumer profiles
- Identify and research your local competition
- Source suppliers
- Market your business
- Discover local networking opportunities, events and workshops – you can also join our mailing list (select the ‘Business and Investment’ option) to get updates
- Employ staff
- Credit check suppliers and companies you may be looking to work with
- Identify any relevant grants / funding
- Identify any relevant regulations and licences
- Protect your intellectual property
- Make more well informed business decisions
Let us take the uncertainty out of decisions you may need to make by supplying you with accurate and relevant information.
Services and specialist resources for new businesses
Guides on starting and running a business
We can provide start-up guides for specific types of businesses outlining:
- any mandatory qualifications your business would need
- any licenses that would need to be held
- regulations to be aware of
- possible methods of promotion
To request information to help you start your business you can complete our enquiry form.
You can also request a business start-up pack which includes:
- An introduction to business regulations when starting up
- Choosing the right legal structure
- Mandatory contacts for business start-ups
- An introduction to tax, National Insurance and VAT
- Writing a business plan
- Choosing business and company names
- Insurance cover for business
- Profiling your target audience
- Start-up market research
- Running a business from home
A wide variety of business factsheets (external link) are also available. Please complete our enquiry form specifying the reference number and title of each factsheet of interest, up to a maximum of 10.
Market research – Including IBIS World reports
When starting a new business it’s important to identify whether there will be enough demand for your services/products – before investing any capital into launching your venture.
We’re able to offer access to a range of market leading research reports, covering many sectors and interests.
We can provide research that will be helpful when writing a business plan or supporting a funding application, such as:
- current and predicted future trends within particular market sectors
- local demographic data
- footfall statistics
- tourism trends
The most notable market research provider we’re able to provide free access to is IBIS World - one of the UK's richest sources of business and industry information. Their reports, which usually cost around £500 to buy, are available for free through our service. They provide independent, accurate, comprehensive, and current research on hundreds of UK market sectors.
An overview of the areas analysed within the reports:
- Key external drivers
- Current performance
- Industry outlook
- Industry life cycle
Products and markets
- Supply chain
- Products and services
- Demand determinates
- Key success factors
- Cost structure benchmarks
- Basis of competition
- Barriers to entry
- Industry data
- Annual change
- Key ratios
You can complete our enquiry form if you would like us to recommend reports or data related to your business idea.
Specialist business databases
Through our subscription to Experian’s business-to-business marketing database we can provide:
- Business to business postal, telesales or email marketing lists in spreadsheet format, which include a contact name for a key decision maker within businesses.
- Details of your local, regional or national competitors
- Statistical breakdowns of businesses based within specific geographical areas, including by business type, employee and turn over ranges.
Complete our enquiry form if you would like to identify your competitors (where available), or find relevant suppliers for your business
Market your business effectively
Attracting clients and sales can often be one of the most difficult parts of starting a new business.
We offer marketing support to help you:
- Discover local advertising opportunities (link to new local advertising opportunities web-page)
- Raise awareness of any business events you are running in Wrexham (check our hold a meeting / run an event page for further information)
- Promote your products/services to other businesses by running a targeted business-to-business marketing campaign
- Find networking meetings, where you can raise awareness of your business and form relationships with local companies.
We can also let you know about trading opportunities at events / markets, as well as webinars and other support services which could help you to raise the profile of your business online.
Please complete our enquiry form to request marketing support and suggestions for your business.
Document / contract templates and model policies
We can provide free access to more than 1,000 up-to-date and customisable business documents from the Indicator – FL Memo tips and advice business database (external link).
Topics include employment law, fire safety, HR, health and safety, checklists for business, finance management and accountancy.
All documents are written concisely in plain English and are ready for immediate use.
Some of the most popular model policies/documents include:
Terms and conditions of sale
- Terms and conditions of sale to a consumer
- Business-to-business terms and conditions of sale
- Terms and conditions for supply of services to business customers
- Online terms and conditions - sale of services to a consumer
- Online terms and conditions - business to consumer - sale of goods contract
- Sale of goods agreement
- Copyright assignment (of designs created for your business / company)
- Confidentiality agreement (when allowing a third party to have access to your business information or data)
- Letter or confidentiality (a less formal option to a confidentiality agreement, usually entered into at an early stage of any negotiations / discussions)
- GDPR privacy notice
- Subcontracting agreement
- Invoice template
- Invoice reminder letter
- Risk assessment template
- Risk assessment audit
- Credit account application form (for customers who ask for a credit facility)
- Letter confirming verbal order
- No contract letter (in response to a verbal contract allegation)
- Personal guarantee of payment (for a potential customer with poor references)
- Partnership agreement
- Limited liability partnership agreement
Complete our enquiry form if you would like to request any templates from the above list or to request a list of all available templates and model policies which can be provided (up to 10 per month).
Free Experian credit reports and ratings
Safeguard your enterprise from working with businesses that have a poor credit score.
Credit reports from Experian will offer you peace of mind, whether you would like to:
- investigate if a business has the means to pay for any goods/services you have been requested to supply
- safeguard yourself from entering into business with any suppliers in a poor financial situation
- investigate possible business partners before signing a contract
Information contained within reports include:
- A general company summary
- Financial breakdowns and risk information
- Ownership and director details
- Monthly credit score and credit limit changes
- Payment performance information is also available for many companies
Reports are available for any limited company within the UK, briefer reports are also available for many sole traders.
If you work with businesses based outside of the UK reports are also available for foreign companies. However a fee (which varies depending on where a business is based) would apply in this case. The charge would not apply until you confirm whether you would want the report after we have provided a quote.
Please complete our enquiry form to request a credit report, providing the name of the company / business and if possible their registered office or trading address, and website.
You can join our mailing list (select the ‘Business and Investment’ option) to get updates on upcoming business events, forums and networking meetings.
Search for grants and funding
Grants offer non-repayable finance, which could help you to:
- Start a business
- Grow your business
- Market and promote your business
- Renovate/develop premises
- Recruit staff
- Train your workforce
We can tell you about local, regional and national grant schemes you may be eligible for. We can also give you details of venture capital providers, loans, peer-to-peer platforms and competitions with a financial reward.
You can request a funding search by completing our enquiry form, to identify possible sources of finance. The information we provide will be based on funding schemes listed as being open for application on third party funding databases.
You can also join our mailing list (select the ‘Business and Investment’ option) to be kept up-to-date with any available funding opportunities.
A range of books are available from Wrexham Libraries covering a number of business topics (aimed at both new and existing businesses).
You can browse the online catalogue to search for books which may be of interest / helpful.
You’ll be able to find information about how to become a library member and use the service on the libraries pages.