When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services.

What is the ‘Tell Us Once’ service?

When you register a death at our register office we can provide an additional free service that we hope will make things easier. This service means that you can just tell us and we can contact other organisations on your behalf.

Depending on your circumstances there are a number of organisations we can notify. This includes both departments within Wrexham Council and other government organisations such as the Department of Work and Pensions, HMRC and the DVLA.

We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you.

If you wish to use the service you will need to do so within 28 days of registering the death.

Information you will need to provide

To allow us to carry out this service you will need to bring any valid passport, valid driving licence, valid blue badge and National Insurance number of the deceased. 

Please be aware if you request the service in person, when registering a death at our register office, you will need to be able to provide extra information for the death registration.

We may also ask you for the contact details for: 

  • Their next of kin 
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner 
  • The person dealing with their estate 

You must get the permission of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Full list of organisations that can be notified

Department for Work and Pensions:

  • Pension, Disability and Carers Service 
  • Jobcentre Plus 
  • Overseas Healthcare Team 

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
HM Revenue & Customs: 

  • Child Benefit 
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Tax
  • HM Passport Office

Veterans UK: 

  • War Pensions Scheme

Local council: 

  • Blue Badges
  • Concessionary travel
  • Council Housing
  • Council Tax
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Electoral Services
  • Housing Benefit
  • Libraries
  • Social services

If you have any further questions about the service contact our register office.