What is a mobile home? 

‘Mobile home’ (also known as ‘Park home’) is the common name for a residential mobile home situated on a site licensed by the local authority for residential use, often known as a ‘park’. 

Typically residents own their mobile homes as their permanent home and pay the owner of the site a pitch fee, however some residents are tenants who rent their mobile home.

A mobile home is defined as a structure designed to be lived in that can be moved from place to place (for example, by being towed or transported on a trailer or motor vehicle), or motor vehicle designed or adapted to be lived in.

Mobile homes vary in shape and size – some resemble bungalows whereas others appear as traditional caravans.

Is there a limit to the size of a mobile home? 

The maximum size of a mobile home is 20 metres long (not including any tow-bar), 6.8 metres wide and 3.05 metres high inside. If, for example, a porch or extension is added, it may take it outside of the legal definition, and could then be treated as a building under other legislation.

What is the law that applies to residential mobile home sites?

The Mobile Homes (Wales) Act 2013 applies to all residential mobile home sites in Wales and was introduced to improve the conditions of these sites, as well as to increase protection for mobile home owners.

The main features of the act are that:

  • Site owners are required to apply for a licence from their local authority to operate a site. The licence lasts up to five years.
  • Proposed site licence holders and site managers need to pass a ‘fit and proper person’ test.
  • Site owners can no longer block the sale of a mobile home. A mobile home owner is free to sell their home to whom they wish.
  • The maximum amount of commission that the site owner can require a mobile home owner to pay when selling their mobile home is 10% of the purchase price.
  • Local authorities inspect sites and issue a fixed penalty notice to site owners if conditions on the site are not kept properly.
  • In more serious instances, local authorities can issue the site owners with a compliance notice to make sure that site conditions are upheld.
  • Pitch fees can only be increased in line with the Consumer Prices Index.
  • Site owners and residents will be able to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal in certain circumstances.

Further information about your mobile home rights 

Site licensing and costs

All mobile home sites must have a licence issued by the local authority on a park with relevant planning permission.

Licensing a residential mobile home site

Residential mobile home sites (traditionally known as park home sites) are licensed by the Housing Standards Team.

In order to apply for a site licence the site must have planning permission.

After the initial application has been received a site inspection will be carried out and then the site licence issued according to the inspection outcome.

While there is no fee for the initial application a fee will be payable if the licence is granted.

Licensing a holiday caravan site

Holiday caravan sites are licensed by Environmental Protection Department.

In order to apply for a site licence the site must have planning permission.

After the initial application has been received a site inspection will be carried out and then the site licence issued according to the inspection outcome.


Mobile home site licence fees (residential)
Residential Fee
Single Residential Sites £243.95
Single Residential - mixed £272.65
Small Site (2 - 10 mobile homes) £323.90
Medium Site (11 - 50 mobile homes) £671.37
Large Site (50+ mobile homes) £1,136.72
Vary Conditions of Licence £198
Lodge Site Rules £60.47
Replacement Licence £33.82
Mobile home site licence fees (non-residential)
Non-residential Fee
Camp sites (Public Health Act 1936) No fee
Holiday caravan and camping sites No fee

Residential mobile home/holiday caravan site licence overview

Residential mobile home/holiday caravan site licence overview
Licence summary To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from us (as the local authority).
Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following reasons:
  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to make sure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and firefighting controls
  • to make sure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained
Eligibility criteria

As an applicant you must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Licensing criteria

GOV.UK: A summary of the licensing criteria for this licence (external link)

Application evaluation process

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land situated.

Applications should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority. 

Will tacit consent apply? Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.
Target completion period 56 calendar days.
Apply online

GOV.UK: Apply to run a caravan site or camp site (external link)
GOV.UK: Tell us about a change to your existing caravan or camp site (external link)


Public Protection Services, Guildhall, Wrexham LL11 1AY
Appeal a failed application 

Contact us in the first instance.

If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on the local district council.

Licence holder appeal

Contact us in the first instance. 

If you’re a licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence, you may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

We may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If you’re a licence holder who disagrees with the alterations you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served to us.

Residential Property Tribunal Wales (external link)

Consumer complaint We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licensed caravan sites within Wrexham County Borough

Mobile home (residential) sites 

  • Oakfield Caravan Park, Gresford Road, Llay, Wrexham, LL12 0NP
  • Penyllan Farm Mobile Home Site, Penyllan Farm, Wrexham Road, Marchwiel, Wrexham, LL13 0PF

Holiday caravan sites 

  • Rosedale Park, Higher Penley, Wrexham
  • James’ Caravan Park, Wynnstay Park, Ruabon
  • Ddol Hir Caravan Park, Pandy, Glyn Ceiriog, Wrexham
  • Bank Farm Caravan Park, Toft Wood, Bangor Isycoed, Wrexham
  • The Plassey, Eyton, Wrexham
  • Trotting Mare Caravan Park, Knolton, Overton, Wrexham
  • Emral Gardens Caravan Park, Holly Bush, Bangor Isycoed, Wrexham
  • Clays Caravan Park, Bryn Estyn Road, Wrexham

The above lists do not include Caravan Club sites or Gypsy and Traveller sites as they are exempt under the legislation.

Standards expected for mobile home site conditions

What are the ‘Model Standards’?

The Model Standards 2008 for Caravan Sites in Wales are the conditions, 'normally expected as a matter of good practice on sites.'

These standards only apply to sites which containing caravans that are used as permanent residential units.

The most significant standards relate to:

  • dealing with park site boundaries
  • making clearer what should and shouldn't be allowed within the six metre separation space between homes
  • permitting a single car to be parked between homes
  • requiring a concrete hardstanding for all homes
  • extending park drainage requirements to include the pitch
  • making sure that common areas of the site are maintained in a good condition
  • setting out the minimum standards required for the supply of water, electricity, drainage and sanitation
  • making it clear that land allocated for recreational space is required only when children live on the park

Individual mobile home conditions

The condition of individual mobile homes is assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) according to Section 268 of the Public Health Act 1936, and taking into account the British Standard to which residential homes should be built - the BS 3632:2005/2015 (as applicable) Residential Park Homes Specification.

Residential park rules

Site rules on residential mobile home sites ensure community cohesion and good management of the site, while also making sure that mobile homeowners are clear of the rules that apply to them.

Welsh Government: The Mobile Homes (Site Rules) (Wales) Regulations 2014 (external link) tell site owners how to make, vary or delete a site rule. These regulations outline how to consult on proposed changes, grant appeal rights and require local authorities to keep and publish a register of site rules for sites in their area. 


  1. When a site owner reviews existing rules or wants to make any new rules they must first consult with all mobile homeowners and any qualifying residents association. The consultation must be open for responses for a minimum of 28 days. Within 21 days of the end of the consultation the site owner must send a Consultation Response Document (CRD) to all homeowners notifying them of the result of the consultation and which site rules are to be adopted.
  2. If a mobile homeowner wishes to appeal the site owner's decision to adopt, delete or vary a site rule they must apply to the Residential Property Tribunal.  They must do this within 21 days of receiving the consultation response document.
  3. Once the new rules are agreed, the site owner must give the new site rules to the local authority no later than 42 days after serving the CRD. If an appeal has been lodged, the site owner cannot deposit the site rules until the appeal has been determined. Once the appeal has been determined, the site owner has 14 days to give the site rules to the local authority, unless otherwise specified by the tribunal.